Dimes or Quarters

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
I average 2 dimes a box and 3.3 dimes for the handrolled equivalent of a box. Use the dimes to fill my silver urge in between halve hunting. Started an album and have filled over 1/3 of it (1946-64), not to mention many duplicates and 11 mercs. I would keep tryin.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
You can get older dimes out of a box. You get a few more dimes out of handrolled but you almost pay for them because the rolls are usually short or you get worthless foreign coins.
I'd go for the boxes.
Quarters are the toughest coins to get. I've never tried a box of quarters. I've had my best luck with bags. You can get them with handrolls but with them you will find nickels and pennies in the rolls a well as short rolls.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not searched quarters much. I love the dimes. Search $17k this year and found:

109 Roosies
11 mercs
13 silver Canadians

ffd

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Rich Hartford said:
You can get older dimes out of a box. You get a few more dimes out of handrolled but you almost pay for them because the rolls are usually short or you get worthless foreign coins.
I'd go for the boxes.
Quarters are the toughest coins to get. I've never tried a box of quarters. I've had my best luck with bags. You can get them with handrolls but with them you will find nickels and pennies in the rolls a well as short rolls.

I mostly do handrolled coins and Rich is right, dimes and quarters are ALWAYS short, I know a few other people on here have luck with them, but from my experience they are not cost effective. Meaning I get shorted more than the value of the few silver ones I find :thumbsup:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I am always shorted on dimes. when I buy customer rolled or machine bags. and around here about 1% is Canadian.
I avg. a $5.00 shortage on every $1000 bag & get as much as $10 in Canadian.

My last batch of hand rolled dimes included an entire roll of pennies in a dime wrapper and many of the rolls were $0.20 to $0.40 short. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble and just bought the 6 silver dimes I found from that batch.

I'm not sure why I even bother with the dimes. (other than the cople of times I scored a solid roll of silver)
The third hazard is that the coin machine at my dump goes out of calaberation sometimes and often counts dimes as pennies
Just this week I was dumping a 1k bag and @ around $150 into my dump the counter starts rejecting almost everything and the ones it counted were counted as penny's I stopped pouring in the dimes and ran out what had alredy made it into the hopper. I ended up with $212.20 in dimes and $1.67 in pennies. ($16.70 in dimes) I of course brought this to the attention of the attendant and now have to wait up to 2 weeks for the audit. had to go to another branch to complete my dump. What a pain in the ass. all this for 5 silver rosies and anothe $8.00 in Canadian Dimes.

Mojo

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I think dimes are the way to go. I followed Rich's advice a few weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised. I've found several Merc's and lots of Rosies. I have also gotten a lot of neat foreign coins as well. They don't produce like halves do but if you do the volume you'll get some keepers.

A bonus is that it does not appear that they are being searched like halves. However, in one section of my town some guy is doing dimes like crazy so I've decided to dump there instead of buy there. I never mark my rolls so he is in for some fun.

OWS

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
obsessedwithsilver said:
However, in one section of my town some guy is doing dimes like crazy so I've decided to dump there instead of buy there. I never mark my rolls so he is in for some fun.
:angry4: :laughing3:
OWS

You must be in the same town as me, and I am the "some guy"

OP
OP
Q

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Again thanx for the info guys. I will try some more boxes of dimes and see how it works

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
My pet peeve with the dimes is dumping them. I have dumped at several different banks, they always count some as pennies. The first time it happened, I told the teller that there were only dimes I brought in. She got kinda mad, and said "Our machine doesn't make mistakes, there HAD to be pennies in there". Its just part of doing business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions