Roll of Nickels that will make you sick, Also Some Cool Gold Pics. AND UPDATE

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, yeah I know I have not posted on here in a long long time...been too darn busy.
So I have been setting up at coin shows to buy silver and gold and sell it too and its been going well.

I had one find that just blew me away a few months ago when it comes to roll hunting.

So I had some lady offer me her Coin Collection, a small number of silver dollars, some 90% and other odd ball coins.
And a roll of Indian head cents, and a roll of old buffalo nickels and V nickels.

so I paid her strong on the silver but didn't really want the other stuff, she wanted to do a one stop deal. Ok Fine, I will buy the cents and nickels at 10 cents each. So $9 later I had them, tossed em aside and didnt look at them for a while, till after the show.

So a few days later I am going though the batch With one of my coin friends who is better than I at grading and recognizing rare stuff. He is going though the silver dollars looking for better dates etc and I decide, why not, go though the nickels.
So the first few are not that great, worn flat, dirty etc, Then I find one that is a 37 that looks ok. I say hey maybe this is worth 5 bucks in this grade. I fliped it over to check for a mint mark and to my shock its a 3 leg...WOW I said, is this what I think it is, handing the coin to my friend. "sure is, thats a $900 coin" NICE I think.
So I start going though the rest and sure enough I find ANOTHER ONE! Then my buddy wants to look at the rest of the roll. Everything else was junk.

So the next show I sold em for $1800. Not a bad turn around for a 10 cent buy. Probably a once in a life time thing too.

Aside from that the Gold Business is Brisk and Well, I have not hunted a coin roll in Months...I have just been buying from the local CRHers here, And its working well.

I do have a nice show of before during and after when it comes to the coining, its the pile of jewelry, then the raw gold bars, then the finished coins.

Attachments

• DSC00067.JPG
    DSC00067.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 898
  • DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,071
  • DSC00063.JPG
    DSC00063.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 874
Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you're still around JD. Congrads on those 2 rare nickels, one is amazing enough, outstanding! Thanks for the pics too.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
JD, Where the heck have you been have not seen you post in an absurd amount of time. That gold is just madening. Incredible. I am seriously thinking of purchasing gold but what is your suggestion on the best way to go about doing it. Great to hear from you!

Golden Silver

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
been working like a dog hustling, also going though a divorce, and all kinds of fun. So I have been everywhere.

Mainly just dealing, taking scrap and junk gold and silver and turning it into coins, new wedding bands, the usual.

Glad to see there are still some who remember me!

Thanks,

David

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Good to see you post again, JD!
Cool story.
Those pics make me drool! :occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeweler Dave , Nice hearing from you again , wondered where you were , I've always
apreciated your posts because I've been sort of a hobbiest jeweler /silversmith for nearly
20 years . I grew up in Montana , so gold prospecting is in my blood as well , and I recently
discovered metal detecting and rediscovered coin roll hunting . enuff about me - suffice it to
say it's nice to hear from you again . Blessings to you and yours for a happy and prosperous
winter. Argentium . (Formerly Gregory, Santa Fe . )

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i got a ? what if a fella had a 3 legged buff and it was just 1 step above the lowest grade in the red book what do you think it would be worth

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well if its genuine and a real dog. Gray Sheet bid for a Good is about $435. Most dealers sell at Bid or back of bid to move product. Expect to get %50 to %70 of bid from most dealers.

here is one that went on EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/1937-D-BUFFALO-...mQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item4149f7da31
This one on Ebay just went for $238

But it has some scratches. Just depends on how bad it is.

Bid was 1100 on mine and I took 900 each They were AU grade...no one ever gets full price on a coin unless they find a sucker....cause everyone wants a deal.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jewelerdave said:
well if its genuine and a real dog. Gray Sheet bid for a Good is about $435. Most dealers sell at Bid or back of bid to move product. Expect to get %50 to %70 of bid from most dealers.

here is one that went on EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/1937-D-BUFFALO-...mQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item4149f7da31
This one on Ebay just went for $238

But it has some scratches. Just depends on how bad it is.

Bid was 1100 on mine and I took 900 each They were AU grade...no one ever gets full price on a coin unless they find a sucker....cause everyone wants a deal.

Great finds on the AU 3 legged Buffalos.

From what I understand, it is not easy to get them in that condition because the error was not really widely discovered until well after 1937 when most all of them had already been circulating. At least that is what one of my coin dealers told me.

I am thinking about getting a nice one. They have come down in price a bit since 2007/2008, when they kind of peaked in price. I will wait and see what happens in a year to two to the price. Right now I cannot get myself to spend so much cash on a coin not made of gold.

Jim

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dave! glad to hear from you again. How well have your sales on the gold coins going?

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Roll of Nickels that will make you sick, Also Some Cool Gold Pics. AND UPDAT

Good story.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
hey Dave...it has been a long time. i was wondering how you were doing. that is an incredible find on those 3 leggers :thumbsup: love seeing the gold. you do a great job. now if only i can find some more silver, i'd buy a coin or two from you. looking forward to more of your posts.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Dave,

What kind of equipment does it take to melt gold and silver? I've melted lead before but I'd like to melt some silver to make some bars.

Thanks,
JasonB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions