Trade for Magician coins

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Haven't posted here in ages. It has been a busy year for meteorite falls, and I've been gone a bit.

The offer -
The half dollar - Mexican centavos coins get into circulation because one of my fellow magicians spends it accidentally. As a whole we do have a habit of drinking long and hard at conventions. The dime shells that get into circulation almost never get found. But the halves CRHers recover.

The complete trick will have a shell US Half, a gimmicked core that fits in the shell which is US Half on one side and Centavo/Brit-Penny on the other, and a real Centavo or Brit-Penny. You guys will only find the shell&core. Occasionally you'll find the real Centavo and Brit Penny.

Once it gets into circulation, some shell distortion occurs which degrades it from being top performance usable. But still OK for practice.

I'm going to a our magic conference this year and I'd like to put some of these back into circulation with the newer kids.

So I'll offer a solid silver 1964 for a complete half/centavos pair. I'd prefer to get several from 1 person to minimize our shipping. Just PM me.

Caveats:
1. The half dollar shell should not be bent on any rim. Meaning it is still functioning
2. The Centavos also needs to be in good shape to slide into the shell
3. The Shell/Centavos fit must not be so blown that the centavos falls back out of the shell when it is upside down.
4. I need both pieces, the shell (US half that is hollow) and the core (half on one side, centavo (or Brit Penny) on the other)
5. If you have the real Centavos, please include them. I'd also like the real Brit Penny if you found it, but that's asking too much.

You should be able to separate the two with a 'bang ring' which none of you should own. Otherwise, put the coin in a soft plastic (not glass) cup and shake it side to side hard and they separate. If you ever use a knife blade to separate, you've likely ruined it. When shipping or storing, store them together.

----------------
Update

OK, I forget that this comes in 3 flavors. There is also a English Penny/Half magic coin as well. The Centavos/Half is more common in the South because of our proximity to Mexico, but the yankee magicians perfer the Brit Penny variant. There is also a Odd variant with a Chinese coin, but not seen often. I'll post a pic on the centavo/half. Again, in the picture the backside of the centavo will have a US half on it. (technically 1/2 of a half)

Attachments

• magic-coin.jpg
    magic-coin.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I got some I will trade you (I have 30+). I even have one that has a quarter inside the half with a dime inside the quarter. That one I may want a couple 90%er's for. I don't think I have any with the Chinese coin inside, I'll double check.

I'll PM you and we can figure out a trade. I'll send pictures of the coins that I'll trade with you.

Attachments

• DSC00373.JPG
    DSC00373.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC00373.JPG
    DSC00373.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 418
OP
OP
T
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow, I've been flooded with trade offers.

At this point, The offer at a 90% 1964 for a magic coin set is expired.

From here on I'll offer a 40% for each magic coin set (shell+ core). Each side pays their own shipping.

I prefer to do trades in 10+ bulk lots. Just PM me and give me a few days to respond.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey Y'all before you give these away I just wanted to inform you that they can sell on ebay for around 10-12 dollars. That is how much these coins sell for if you bought them off the internet as well. Just a heads up.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
T
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not entirely true. These are damaged, circulated shells from a set missing part of the trick and no instructions.

How much is a $10 keyboard worth missing 1/3 of it's keys and the 2/3 it has are sticky? And with no drivers. That's what you have.

Just a heads up.

golden silver said:
Hey Y'all before you give these away I just wanted to inform you that they can sell on ebay for around 10-12 dollars. That is how much these coins sell for if you bought them off the internet as well. Just a heads up.

Golden Silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Actually seen them sell as is on ebay for exactly what I mentioned above. No instructions, as is.... just how we find them. Interesting. :icon_scratch:

Golden Silver

OP
OP
T
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Most definately not how you find them. Please don't pretend you understand magic equipment, gimicks, fakes, and shells. Worse, don't make people think they have something they don't. Do you them a disservice.

If you think you know it all. Go sell yours. Anyone else who thinks they the same, sell yours too.

golden silver said:
Actually seen them sell as is on ebay for exactly what I mentioned above. No instructions, as is.... just how we find them. Interesting. :icon_scratch:

Golden Silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
First of all Tex_ Mex I don't know who the heck you are but If they are worth squat, why and the heck are you making such a big stink for them and offering silver???? Now, these guys can go ahead and take your 40%er but they can also hold onto them and sell them if they so choose. Obviously you feel like your might miss out on something by me responding the way I have. But now these guys may know something a little more about your motives. Gracias Amigo.

Golden Silver

Oh and this is a current ebay bid on an as is magic coin FYI. And they have sold for more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-Coin-50-s...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0da03808

detect4au

Nov 17, 2007
I am glad that TMH made his post. I have had a bunch of those magician coins and did not know what to do with them. Now I can say that some of my skunk boxes were not really skunks. I am also glad that he will get some younger people involed in magic. My kids saw a magician on Halloween and loved it. Thanks for the offer. Anybody need any impaired clad proofs to complete a collection? I have a bunch, only missing a couple years between 1971 and 2007. Also have 19 1987 d and 12 1987 p. Thanks again TMH.
Cheers,
detect4au

OP
OP
T
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thank you.

If anyone wants to go batty. Look for the penny/dime shell coins. The dime nests inside the penny with a penny back to make the set appear as a normal penny. A well machined set should be invisible, as this illusion is designed to be given to the observer for inspection.

This was one of my first good coin illusions I learned as a magician. Dropped it once during summer outside, and it fell thru the cracks in the soil. A year later I got my first metal detector and found it again in working order.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Texas_Meteorite_Hunter said:
Most definately not how you find them. Please don't pretend you understand magic equipment, gimicks, fakes, and shells. Worse, don't make people think they have something they don't. Do you them a disservice.

If you think you know it all. Go sell yours. Anyone else who thinks they the same, sell yours too.

golden silver said:

Golden Silver

I'm with GS on this one . You seem to be contradicting yourself here. you gave a detailed description of the quality of the magic coins you want and offered a 90% half for them. and than after a few Pm's you change your tune and offer a 40%'r for each and you only want ones in good condition. The actual trick coin brand new can sell for as much as $30 brand new and your original offer was basically $5.50 ea. for only working condition coins.
Now I have about 40 of these coins that I have accumulated over the last 3 years. and would have gladly traded a 90 for ea. one but I guess I'll just have to keep them now or sell them on eBay.

Mojo

OP
OP
T
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
coinmojo said:
Texas_Meteorite_Hunter said:

golden silver said:

Golden Silver

I'm with GS on this one . You seem to be contradicting yourself here. you gave a detailed description of the quality of the magic coins you want and offered a 90% half for them. and than after a few Pm's you change your tune and offer a 40%'r for each and you only want ones in good condition. The actual trick coin brand new can sell for as much as $30 brand new and your original offer was basically $5.50 ea. for only working condition coins.
Now I have about 40 of these coins that I have accumulated over the last 3 years. and would have gladly traded a 90 for ea. one but I guess I'll just have to keep them now or sell them on eBay.

Mojo

Well Mojo, you've made a good case here. I think you need to put out an offer on these.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey TM, yeah you have been gone for a while.

In fact, seems like we've been down this road before. in June '07 (attached) you offered a 90%er for each magician half we found; in advance of some large magician convention..............and than "magically" the price went down to a lone 40%er.

And than, presto, you had vanished............until this latest post.

For any negotiation to be successful, it needs to be a win/win.

Sounds like if you stick to the offer of a 90%er per ( that you offered the last two times) you'll likely get all you might need. And both parties will be happy.

PM me if you'd like; for shipping may not even enter the equation on the 40+ that I have.
*****************************************************************************************

23 Miscellaneous / Coin Roll Hunting / Silver Trade for Magician Coins & Information on how to open them nicely on: Jun 20, 2007, 05:21:35 PM
OK, I've got 2 magic conventions coming up in the next 2 months. And apparently there are LOTS of these hollow half JFKs being found. They are indeed, a magicians coin. I don't know how well they faired out in the wild, but I want to find out and get them back in the hands of junior (and broke) magicians.

(And for you dime hunters, there is an exact duplicate of them too, a hollow Roosevelt obverse with a penny insert on the back of the reverse of the dime. Much harder to find. As the obverse and reverse looks perfect, just rotated at odd angles)

First, they are a 3 part set, you have all probably just found the shell and insert part. The third part is a English Penny/Mexican centavos. That's OK, I can find those and refurbish the sets, if the shell's are in good shape.

Second, how you open them. You TAP them on a table on their edge a few times. They are a snug fit, but should open up. However, they've been in the 'wild' for too long and may have taken abuse from the sort machine. So they may be very stuck the first time. Throwing them on the ground is BAD. It will open them once, but damage them forever, possibly. Another way to open them, is put them in a box that is 2x the diameter of the coin. Then shake the box. In 10 seconds, they should open.

Now the offer. I'm not sure how damaged they are now, so I want to trade for a sample and examine. I'll trade 1 40% silver for 1 hollow JFK/magician coin. They need to have both halfs. My offer is good for the first 30 coins.

I'll offer to trade in quantities of 4 or more magician coins for those who have found quite a few. Less than this is not worth either time or shipping. ie. If you have 8 of these, I'll trade 8 40%. Just send me a private message for my address.

30 Miscellaneous / Coin Roll Hunting / Re: I Like These New Dates......... on: Jun 18, 2007, 08:39:29 PM
Well done! I still haven't tried to box thing yet, but I will soon.

On the magic coins, I'm actually a magician and use these types of coins. Sometime soon, I'm going put out a blanket offer to buy these and get them back into the hands of the magicians here in Texas. Probably at the price of a 90% silver. It depends on how damaged they are while out in the "wild".

The national magicians convention is next month. I hear horror stories all the time of special coins being dropped into the Coke machine by magicians because it was in their pocket at the time. Opps, they had done a trick and ditched it in their pocket, later they realized its spent - #$@!!!

Most of the magic coins my fellow CRH won't be able to detect like the zombie or the dime penny, just the halves, the sac/susan-b and maybe some of the hollow quarters and one type of magnetic quarter.
****************************************************************************************************

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Wow, it would seem that my huntch was correct. I usually am a good judge of character and I just felt un easy with this guy. Thanks Mojo and the others for calling this guy out with me.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
T
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Market price is the price that a seller who doesn't have to sell will meets the price of a buyer who doesn't have to buy.

Complaining isn't going to change the market value.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
I do not think the value is in question any more and neither are your original intentions.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
T
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey everyone! I'm officially tapped out. I have more than I can handle for now. I've got more sets coming than there are kids in my local Ring.

Now I've got to clean up, tune, lube, and repair the sets coming. I'll be looking for centavos and pennys with matching oxidation levels to reassemble the sets.

Hey thanks for everyone who's traded with me!

Best!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread