First dime bag

gravybro

Jun 29, 2009
Eastern panhandle of WV
After searching one or two dime boxes a week for a few months, and averaging less than one keeper per box, I decided to try my luck with a dime bag.

And I got someones dump. A silver dump. 70 mercs and 189 rosies. About 18.5 troy ounces of silver.

This bag produced good coin all the way through, although the vein ran deepest and widest in the top half of the bag.

I have mixed feelings about these results. On the one hand I think this is a huge score. On the other hand, I suspect that this was a fluke. That I will never, ever find another bag even approaching this one in richness.

Maybe I should declare victory and retire from the field?

Attachments

• 70 mercs.jpg
    70 mercs.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 376
  • 189 rosies.jpg
    189 rosies.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
First of all Congrats on a great find. It is no fluke my friend you are in the beginners luck stages and beginners luck seems to really exist in this hobbie...I can't explain it but others will vouge for it as well. As for never finding something like this again...maybe not exactly the same but if you keep at it other big scores are bound to happen. Not every day though is a dream day for sure. Long time in between finds like these. Would love to know dates and mint marks on the mercs.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
G

gravybro

Jun 29, 2009
Eastern panhandle of WV
The oldest 4 coins were to worn to observe any mint marks, if any.

1923 x 2
1935 x 2
1936 x 4
1937 x 4
1940 x 2
1941 x 12; 1941D
1942 x 5; 1942S
1943 x 6
1944 x 17; 1944D x 3
1945 x 6; 1945D

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Holy crap! That is the most incredible dime score ive ever seen!!!!!!! Great going!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet!
Now think about this. If that was the only dime bag they had there may be more silver in the bag still on the machine. If I were you I'd go back and ask about the bag on the machine.
HH
Gilbert

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW - The best that I have ever gotten out of 1 box was like 18 mercs and 42 rosies (60 silver), this blows mine out of the water totally!!!! BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
golden silver said:
First of all Congrats on a great find. It is no fluke my friend you are in the beginners luck stages and beginners luck seems to really exist in this hobbie...I can't explain it but others will vouge for it as well. As for never finding something like this again...maybe not exactly the same but if you keep at it other big scores are bound to happen. Not every day though is a dream day for sure. Long time in between finds like these. Would love to know dates and mint marks on the mercs.

Golden Silver

What an amazing find :thumbsup: Great pics too !
I'm not surprised though with such a find. Like Golden Silver, I'm a true believer in beginners luck. I had it when I started, and so did my son, and many others that post here. It's truly a mystery.
Go out and get another bag as soon as possible.

HH
Rich

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the beginner's luck statement. Got an Indian head cent in my first penny box, none since.

But your score is off the chart! :thumbsup:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
enamel7 said:
That's sweet!
Now think about this. If that was the only dime bag they had there may be more silver in the bag still on the machine. If I were you I'd go back and ask about the bag on the machine.
HH
Gilbert

I'd also be buying the Quarter and Nickle bag from that dump if you can.

Great score.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread