Do You see Many Marked Coins ?

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I went through a Brinks bag tonight and knew almost immediately that this was probably going to be a "skunk". Every handful I pulled out contained only marked coins. They were all marked with a red pen in the same identical place so I can only surmise that these all came from the same dumper. I realize that most of the coins we search have already been searched before but if they are not marked, it sure keeps us in better spirits and expectations of finding something. It appears that somebody had way too much time on their hands but hope they had fun marking these. I normally do not encounter very many marked coins but tonight's bag was out of the ordinary. Anyway, now I feel better ! It also helped that I did find one 90%er in this bag. HH

FL Junkman

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
FL,
I find plenty of marked halves in boxes. It's not necessarily an indication that I won't find a keeper though. I do handrolled and bagged dimes and quarters too. As of late I've been running across marked quarters and dimes.
Never seen them marked before.

HH

Rich

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I personally haven't seen many marked coins. But it sure does make me mad when I hear about people doing that.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my boxes contain a good percent of marked coins. Usually I can tell if there is going to be silver or not after the first few rolls. Lots of marked coins = no silver.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
I'll tell you what a real bummer is, it is when you get your own marked coins back 3 to 5 months after you marked them and long after you have stopped marking coins; this happened to me 3 times now.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
mistergee said:
i see them all the time......many diferent marks also :angry4: :BangHead:

Me too in my TN Boxes lots of marked coins, even in the boxes that produce, oddly, but not so many or should say so far near the volume of marked ones from Ark Boxes.

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Mine are almost always heavily marked.

Last week it was in black magic marker on one side or the other.

This week someone went over a lot of the coins with a silver sharpie pen on the edges.

My first roll looked like it was solid silver until I started looking at the dates....lol

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Yeah, my last big box run had literally 150 or so each in about half of the boxes that had a purple sharpie up the knape of Kennedy's neck. Sickening. The silver marker edges are also frustrating, but I didn't get too many of those

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kurtma12 said:
Yeah, my last big box run had literally 150 or so each in about half of the boxes that had a purple sharpie up the knape of Kennedy's neck. Sickening. The silver marker edges are also frustrating, but I didn't get too many of those

Oh my god, that would be the funniest thing ever!!!! Using a silver marker to mark all around the edges of your dumps!!!! Hahahaha

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
TreasureFiend said:
kurtma12 said:

Oh my god, that would be the funniest thing ever!!!! Using a silver marker to mark all around the edges of your dumps!!!! Hahahaha

What a wonderfull waste of time.

voodoo13

Aug 20, 2009
For the past 2 months or so, a new CRH has moved into my turf. He/she has been marking all coins with a purple marker, in 4 places on the edges. Looks like they count out the coins, lay them in hand and make a line down the whole roll to be. Went thru $300 in dimes the other day, $260 were marked this way. They are an obvious new CRHer, as they marked 4 silver Canadian dimes and rolled em. :icon_thumleft:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW - I've never seen dimes marked before!!!! :laughing9:

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get red and black marks, black spots over Kennedy's ear, black across the year, one guy who puts initials and a date, green stripes and one jerkweed that uses a knife across the face of NIFC's.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
markmopar said:
I get red and black marks, black spots over Kennedy's ear, black across the year, one guy who puts initials and a date, green stripes and one jerkweed that uses a knife across the face of NIFC's.
Wow, that would get me really pi$$ed off. Especially about the NIFC. Good thing he doesn't do that with proffs though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions