1987 S

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
Called up a bank a mile from my house that I'd never been to and they said they had $3.00 worth. I asked about the date and no silver but they had a 1987 which I now is an NIFC. When I get down there, I see it's a proof. Proofs humor me because of the fact that some kid, people probably my age, break them out of a mint set and spend them. I'm amazed by the lack of knowledge of kids my age. But, in no way am I complaining.

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Cool find and the 1987 is worth a bit more than 50 cents if I am not mistaken. As long as it is in good shape.

Golden Silver

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
"I asked about the date and no silver..."

If you're going to call banks, to see if they have any halves, don't ask about certain dates or metal content. Never mention the "S" word.

If they have any halves, just stop by and buy them all.

When folks start getting to selective, bank employees are likely to begin to ask questions and that is the beginning of the end for the rest of us.

Just some helpful advice.

....and nice find on the '87 proof.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I agree on both points.

1) Never ask about dates. Just go buy them all. It keeps them from learning or getting suspicious. YOu don't want them to realize that silver has high value and then they take all the silver before they give you the rest. So take them all, say you like halves in general, and then they save them for you because you like them, not becasue of the silver.

2) good find. ;-)

bocephus

Aug 10, 2009
NEVER EVER ASK FOR THE DATES. WOW READ THE BEGINNERS GUIDE PLZ. IF U ASK FOR THE DATES THEN U HURT THE REST OF US

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
How much would you say an '87 S, slightly impaired, would be worth versus a more common year slightly impaired. Reason I ask, and if this is spam then commence with the potted meat pics, but I have am currently selling on an auction site a lot of Kennedy Proofs that I had found in circulation and and '87S is included in the auction. Just wondering, thanks!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
The going price of an 87 impaired proof I could not tell you but I know that the year has a lower mintage and was NIFC. If you have an acution currently going I would make known the dates on the coins.

Golden Silver

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Yes, I have the dates listed in the auction itself, but not in the title. Once there's a bid, you can't change the title though.

I got into a proof collection in some Brinks boxes last month and have so many now, I am just trying to see if there is any market above 50 cents for impaired proofs. There is still time left on it, so I will let everyone know how it turns out once it is over. This one has $14 face in different S mints + 1 40% silver and it is at $20, so that's at least a profit.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
That is good to know that you can make a bit of a profit on it. Let us know how it turns out. Just like the magic coins I think these are worth holding on to and selling.

Golden Silver

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Yeah, I think anything even slightly less common will get a premium in quantity. When I first started CRHing, before I knew any better and thought quarters were good, I got a ton of quarter rolls and pulled all the bicentennials. Unlike Kennedys, they actually are worth holding onto if you get a bunch. I remember selling a lot of 2 rolls and getting a couple dollars over face. Not much profit, but not any trouble either.

OP
OP
JJtheRollHunter

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
All I say is "what years are they?" They never are suspicious. If they were, I would not be getting silver from the same banks.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
JJ, all we are saying is the more you have the tellers look at the coins the lest chance you have of getting silver. It is a fact. You still will get lucky from time to time though.

Golden Silver

bocephus

Aug 10, 2009
JJtheRollHunter said:
All I say is "what years are they?" They never are suspicious. If they were, I would not be getting silver from the same banks.
OMG "What years are they?" YA NOT SUSPICIOUS I'M SURE.

YOU "What years are they?"
TELLER-"1964"
YOU-"I'LL BE THERE IN A MINUTE"
TELLER-"sorry we just shipped em out"

YOU ARE GOING TO MEAN THE END OF CRH'ING FOR ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!! >:(

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
[quoteI asked about the date and no silver ][/quote]
we've already had this discussion before. obviously our advice has fallen on deaf ears. the people who are telling you NOT to do that are very experienced and are trying to help you NOT make the same mistakes they did. but of course being a kid, you know everything.

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
Every time JJ posts he tells us what he is doing, and there always 5-6 people telling him not to do it. Obviously due to the fact that he can't drive he has found that this is the best way to avoid wasting his family memebers time in picking up skunks.

I may not agree with his tactics but seriously a lecture isn't needed every time he posts.

JJ - Maybe you could just mention the good finds and not the fact that you are calling and asking specific questions, it might save you from having to defend yourself everytime you post.

supn9

Oct 21, 2009
mistergee said:
[quoteI asked about the date and no silver ]
we've already had this discussion before. obviously our advice has fallen on deaf ears. the people who are telling you NOT to do that are very experienced and are trying to help you NOT make the same mistakes they did. but of course being a kid, you know everything.
[/quote]

Don't be so hard on the guy. Otherwise, he will be always suspicious lookin' There are some tellers that if they do not hear something earthly will cause trouble. Its best, to some extent, to tell them whats goin on. But this is rare... Most of the time the tellers are professionals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread