How often do you find older coins?

BurnedSpy

Aug 22, 2009
By that, I mean older coins like Walkers, Franklins, buffaloes, Indian heads, Mercury dimes...basically any older coin variety, of any denomination.

I find buffaloes in about every other box of nickels I search, and I found a v nickel yesterday, so nickels are great. I've gone through many pennies, but found only one indian, and that was beginners luck, as that was my second box I've ever searched. I do find a lot of wheats, some being pretty old. I haven't searched through halves except for a few rolls, nor dimes, or quarters, so I'm trying to get an average number, to see if they are worth trying out.

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
BurnedSpy said:
By that, I mean older coins like Walkers, Franklins, buffaloes, Indian heads, Mercury dimes...basically any older coin variety, of any denomination.

I find buffaloes in about every other box of nickels I search, and I found a v nickel yesterday, so nickels are great. I've gone through many pennies, but found only one indian, and that was beginners luck, as that was my second box I've ever searched. I do find a lot of wheats, some being pretty old. I haven't searched through halves except for a few rolls, nor dimes, or quarters, so I'm trying to get an average number, to see if they are worth trying out.

We ONLY search halves and find Bens & Walkers occasionally, not necessarily weekly but monthly we do get some, consistently.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Well I search a little of everthing and I don't find "older coins" that often. From your list I have only found 1 Indian head and 1 merc. I say it is just the luck of the draw.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
There is ALWAYS the possibilty of finding older coins in circulation! Two years ago when I began, my first week I pulled an 1894 Barber half from a hand roll. Last fall, I pulled six Barber dimes from a batch of 12 boxes of CWI's. There is always the chance that a collection will be cashed in or dumped.

ffd

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
silvereagle78 said:
Well I search a little of everthing and I don't find "older coins" that often. From your list I have only found 1 Indian head and 1 merc. I say it is just the luck of the draw.

Funny I said this because 30 minutes after I posted this I pulled my first buffalo :icon_scratch: The CRH Gods must have heard me :thumbsup:

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Well, so far, I didn't find any Indians, buffalo's, Mercs, etc. But I do find wheaties and I also found a war nickel.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Bens I find almost weekly. Walkers have been in short supply around here lately but usually monthly for them. Barbers only on road trips.

Golden Silver

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I average a war nickel or a buffalo out of each box I search.
I average 1 quarter out of $750.00- searched
I get a couple of Mercury dimes a month
I grab about 3 Walkers a month
Bens I'll get on a weekly basis
Silver dollars and Barbers about one or two a year
Silver foreign coins- 1 find a month

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
We ONLY search halves and find Bens & Walkers occasionally, not necessarily weekly but monthly we do get some, consistently.
maybe you only search halves but lots of us search everything.
i once found 16 rolls of 1963 Bens in thier original rolls (see my avatar) and here is a link if your interested.....http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197363.0.html
......i don't expect to find anything like that in the future.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
maybe you only search halves but lots of us search everything.
i once found 16 rolls of 1963 Bens in thier original rolls (see my avatar) and here is a link if your interested.....http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197363.0.html
......i don't expect to find anything like that in the future.

Why didnt this ever make banner? That is one amazing find. Did you hang on to any of them?

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Just found 7 Walkers and 2 Bens today, all in One Box in a 6 box search did today, along with 40 more 31 1964's most of which were super shiny uncircumcised looking.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
Just found 7 Walkers and 2 Bens today, all in One Box in a 6 box search did today, along with 40 more 31 1964's most of which were super shiny uncircumcised looking.

Please don't post any pictures. :laughing7:

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
DigginThePast said:
obediah said:

Please don't post any pictures. :laughing7:

Opps, did spell check on "uncirculated" as it showed spelled incorrectly- guess clicked on uncircumcised by mistake, sorry! :icon_pale: :-[

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Why didnt this ever make banner? That is one amazing find. Did you hang on to any of them?
only a couple CRH finds have made the banner. we believe we don't make it that often due to the fact that we pay money for our finds. :dontknow:
i still have around 300 left after i gave several out to friends who collect coins. i am in the process of having 100 graded by PCGS as i have been told that many i have should grade at least MS 63 and several should grade at MS 65 or higher. no FBL's as far as i can tell as even the best of them have a small break in the 3rd line to the left of the clapper. i still have 4 rolls i didn't get to open yet. so who knows, maybe there's one in there. it is a slow process staring into a loupe and trying to categorize the coins into grades and then picking the best to be sent.
while these coins are uncirculated, the do have some bag marks and nicks where the reeded edges have come in contact with the face od the coins. probably as they were coming out of the machinery and dropping into the bag. i'll let everyone know when i send these away and the results but i'm in no rush and have been very busy with work, the new granddaugter, and helping to get my son's lanscaping business growing.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched 2 boxes a dimes a week for 6 months and only found a couple mercs, found almost all rosies.......But with my metal detector I find mercs almost every week....lol

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Found today. I'd say it's pretty old

Attachments

• cexhdrev.jpg
    cexhdrev.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 196
  • cexhdrev.jpg
    cexhdrev.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 197