kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
forgot shipping fee?

and can assume 2$ profit for the 40%, as that's what they are selling for...

now what are you looking at? 6 bucks profit?

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
You made money, and that means you did good. If you made $6, you can turn that into 5 (or so) silver dimes. Put those on the table, say you got them for free, and anyone will agree that was a good deal!

Congrats!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Yeah people are acting as if six bucks profit on what some people consider throw backs is not bad at all.

Golden Silver

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I am really glad you posted this, it gives me a better idea on what to expect on ebay. Thanks :thumbsup:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this.

Two more question,

What's your starting fee? $0.99 or S28?
How many bidders?

OP
OP
kurtma12

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
d2arcing said:
forgot shipping fee?

Really, the shipping was a wash. I left it off, but I charged $5, and will ship in a $4.95 flat rate box. Also, the 40% was equal profit with all of the other ones since they were all pulled from circulation

OP
OP
kurtma12

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
golden silver said:
Yeah people are acting as if six bucks profit on what some people consider throw backs is not bad at all.

Golden Silver

Yeah, really the whole thing was just to see if there was any market for the 50 or so proofs that I pulled out of circulation. They aren't worth anything but $0.50 to me, so $12 is $12. I guess since I had already allotted that $14 to keep the 28 proofs anyways, that I now have about $27 to spend on bullion. I'll take it

OP
OP
kurtma12

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Yinzi50 said:
Thanks for posting this.

Two more question,

What's your starting fee? $0.99 or S28?
How many bidders?

I started at $19.99 to cover face, plus silver value, plus about $3.50, which is what I felt like I would cover any ebay costs and fees, so that I would be sure not to LOSE anything

There were 7 bids from 3 unique buyer ID's

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Thanks for the post.

I'm not so sure the person bringing up the shipping was being negative but just trying to be thourough.

It's nice to see that there is an intrest in the impaired proofs. I have accumulated over 200 of them myself and often consider eBay as a way to free up some capitol.

Pointing out the shipping was a legitimate point but it appears that you charged $5 for shipping but neglected the cost of tracking.

I know many here are familiar with eBay and sell stuff all the time. I have been selling on eBay for a couple of months and there is a learning curve.

Your post was very informative but some here are very nitty gritty. It's in the CRH's nature to leave no stone unturned so you might not get the minor details by some of them.

It is true that eBay's current promotion is 5 free listings ea. month but you really need to ignore that if you were listing without the promotion. if you had a starting price of $29 it should have been about a $1 and don't forget that pay pal also charges a fee as well.

But as others have noted profit is profit. IMHO it would be worth the sale to up your feedback score and free up capitol to buy more coins to search. So you had a very successful auction in my opinion. Just wished for all our sakes that theses impaired proofs would have brought more.

Question, what was your listings length 3 days ,5 ,7, 10?

Mojo

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
thanks for posting your results. its helpful to all of us.

I like these proofs but I can't bring myself to pay for them. I do keep them but would have a hard time letting them go for so little. I think they will be worth quite a bit down the road. I think within 10 years halves will be discontinued and these will be very difficult to find.

as for shipping, most veteran ebayers i know list items with free shipping. the theory is you get more and higher bids. personally i never do that but that is where they are coming from probably.

voodoo13

Aug 20, 2009
"Pointing out the shipping was a legitimate point but it appears that you charged $5 for shipping but neglected the cost of tracking."

If he printed is shipping label off line, tracking would be included at no charge with Priority mail. Went down to the P.O, would have cost extra.

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Since ebay jacked up their rates while back you could of made 3.00 more bucks but they figure they couldn't get by on charging 8% on final value now it's 12% plus additional charges.

EBAY SUCKS!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
voodoo13 said:
"Pointing out the shipping was a legitimate point but it appears that you charged $5 for shipping but neglected the cost of tracking."

If he printed is shipping label off line, tracking would be included at no charge with Priority mail. Went down to the P.O, would have cost extra.

I can't seem to figure out how to print a lable for a small flat rate box I can only do it for the medium flat rate box wich is $9 something and tracking is free. but there is no option as far as I can see for the small box. If there is one maybe you could educate us whom are novices to eBay such as myself. It would save me time and money so I don't have to stand in line at the post office.

Thanks

Mojo

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Thanks for sharing this. I was going through my stash of extra proofs and was wondering if they had any value at all. Wonder if my impaired commemoratives have any value? I've a got a few good ones of those that are extra (non-silver).

Brian

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
d2arcing said:
forgot shipping fee?

was not being a dick, sorry if it was written that way, I have sold over 20k items on ebay, I understood the fees 2+years ago and learned a lot of stuff does not pay to sell because there is no profit, but my logic of 6$ profit is good and if I could I would do it...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
coinmojo said:
voodoo13 said:

I can't seem to figure out how to print a lable for a small flat rate box I can only do it for the medium flat rate box wich is $9 something and tracking is free. but there is no option as far as I can see for the small box. If there is one maybe you could educate us whom are novices to eBay such as myself. It would save me time and money so I don't have to stand in line at the post office.

Thanks

Mojo

There is none. I was told that PayPal has not been updated with the available shipping options from USPS. For the past year, it has been this way. I don't buy that excuse. But you can ship a Flat Rate Envelope for the same cost as a Flat Rate Box. You would be surprised what you can fit in the envelope. The envelope does not have to lay flat. You just can't change the original dimensions. I toss coins in a flat rate envelope; roll it up; tape it; and then place it inside another flat rate envelope. Tape the seams of the outer envelope and it is secure as a box. It probably holds more also.

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
kurtma12 said:
For those of you who wanted to know the results from my S proof auction

28 Clad S Mint Impaired proof coins and 1 40% silver

sold for $30.50
listing fee - free (5 free per month)
subtitle fee - .50
final value - 2.67
cost of coins pulled from circulation 29 x .50 = 14.50
total expenses $17.67

total profit $12.83

Not great, but not terrible

just thinking out loud here. a 40% is worth about 2 bucks over face right now. so if you subtract 2 bucks from your profit, that leaves you 10.83 profit on 28 NIFC's. That's about 38.6 cents over face, or 88 cents, with some work and some risk. I'd be willing to buy NIFC's for 88 cents if I could get them without paying shipping.

Shipping is an issue. if you pay 5.00 shipping, you have to spread it over a lot of coins to keep the price down. I'd have to buy at least 42 coins at one time to keep the price at a buck each or less.

send me a pm if anyone wants to sell Not Intended For Circulation halves on these terms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread