Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
and we wonder why the country and the world are going down the toilet? can't trust gold what can you trust? just my two cents worth. jeff

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AG,

Interesting article ! I've read about 1000 oz silver bars being drilled out and filled with lead, but not about this gold scam.
I'm really not surprised though. Fortunately I'm not in the position to buy gold bars at this time. Unless I find a hundred or so dream boxes in the future. :icon_sunny:
I do get a gold coin or two every once in a great while. I hope that I don't have any fake ones. I don't think so but I'm very wary.
As the economy gets worse we can look forward to a multitude of scams and flimflams some of which are going to be quite elaborate and original.
As I write this, I'm sure that some poor person who has recently been layed off is sitting at home cooking up some plan :read2: to make some easy money. Hopefully he will rip off one of the degenerates who is ransacking the country. :laughing7:

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
This story is gaining momentum.

They are reporting that the Chinese Central Bank picked several 400 ounce bars to be tested and 4 of them turned out to be tungsten filled.

No wonder the Chinese wanted to get physical possession of the gold, they already suspected this I think.

Between this and the scandal of the two japanese caught in Italy with Billions of dollars worth of supposedly fake bonds (which I dont believe for a second either), I really think something is up with the Federal Reserve and Bank fo England playing with "funny money".

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
If that much of the gold is fake bars then when it hits the news gold will go over 3k an ounce.

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
cedarratt said:
If that much of the gold is fake bars then when it hits the news gold will go over 3k an ounce.

Just wait till they hit Ebay!

Im sure this crap is already on ebay. Was reading another forum that had a post about a chineese company that specialized in making gold plated tungston coins. Any of that stuff you get on ebay could be fake. With fakes getting better and now the metal basically masking it, its possible someone has a expensive set of tungston coins out there.

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the real cent forum. Look under silver coins, gold, and other Bullion Metals link and there is a post named Gold Tungsten, future source of fake gold?

Here is the quote from the forum...

A Chinese company called Chinatungsten is advertising imitation gold merchandise on its website. The following quote is taken directly from their Tungsten Alloy for Gold Substitution page:

"a coin with a tungsten center and gold all around it could not be detected as counterfeit by density measurement alone ... We are well accustomed to exploit more innovative applications of tungsten products. Gold-plated tungsten is one of our main products."

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, when you go to buy a gold bar, cut that sucker into at least 2 pieces at the counter BEFORE releasing your money. Using a jewelry saw won't remove enough value to make any real difference, but it'll be cheap insurance for your peace of mind. If the dealer doesn't want to cooperate, give him / her 1/2 the purchase price first; then cut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread