first time ordering at a new bank, what to say?

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
d2arcing said:
going to ask for halves, then going to ask if they can order me 1 box a week, but am debating what is best reasoning to give if they ask? was thinking I like to collect real nice condition ones?

Don't sweat it, just ask, "can you order me a Box of Half Dollars" they will either say sure or they won't, if they say no look them in the eye and ask how you can get them, "I thought you can order coins", and just be Kool and play it by what they say, but above ALL don't sweat, you are not committing a crime.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ask. Usually its no big deal. Some banks wont order for customers, just depends on which bank you go to. And you dont have to give them a reason. Most of the time they wont ask what for. Just smile and tell them you would like to order a box.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
Just ask. Usually its no big deal. Some banks wont order for customers, just depends on which bank you go to. And you dont have to give them a reason. Most of the time they wont ask what for. Just smile and tell them you would like to order a box.

I can see why they would not ask YOU any questions either (if your Avatar is you, you spooky).

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
You can say that " I am thinking of starting a collection." Just don't say your looking for the old ones or the silver ones.

golden silver

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
golden silver said:
You can say that " I am thinking of starting a collection." Just don't say your looking for the old ones or the silver ones.

golden silver

You could say anything but don't say you is a collector, no; I'd say over that line instead that I have a fetish and am filling my bathtub so can roll in them, at least that response will be worth seeing; oh please take a camera and a friend so you can snap & show us the response at a right angle to teller when you tell her that.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Saying your starting a collection is not being specific to what years you are looking for. Whenever someone asks me about what I am doing I let them know I collect but never indicate that I find old ones. I say I am trying to find different dates to fill up albums. Just saying I am a collector sometimes spurs the tellers to hand over some collectable stuff like those silver certs that I posted not too long ago.

Golden Silver

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
obediah said:
golden silver said:

golden silver

You could say anything but don't say you is a collector, no; I'd say over that line instead that I have a fetish and am filling my bathtub so can roll in them, at least that response will be worth seeing; oh please take a camera and a friend so you can snap & show us the response at a right angle to teller when you tell her that.
:icon_thumright:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
You might also ask if you could have a standing order and promise that you wont leave them holding the bag. And make it clear that you will not be bringing them back.

Some banks have limited space in thier vault and don't like keeping extra boxes of coin lying around. Also some claim their minimum order is $1000, if so ask to either get $1000 and pick 1 up this week and 1 the next week or simply the next day if all you can afford is $500, buy dump and return the next day.

Mojo

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Tell them you like to throw them in wishing wells cause you got big wishes. HH Mark
BTW I always ask for an order, then when I go to pick it up I ask if we could make this a weekly rondevous. Let them see that it really isn't that difficult before you ask for them weekly.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an older dude so I tell them I have a couple grandkids that have half dollar collector books to fill. The kids like going through all the halves to look for ones they don't have or to look for some that are in better condition than the ones they already have for that date. Makes me look like a sweetheart. :thumbsup:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't HAVE to tell them anything. Banks are in the business of moving money to make money. One of the banks in my small town has a minimum order set at $1300 for halves. At that level, it's none of the teller's business and it's not the IRS's business unless you order $10,001 worth, at one time.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
packerbacker said:
I'm an older dude so I tell them I have a couple grandkids that have half dollar collector books to fill. The kids like going through all the halves to look for ones they don't have or to look for some that are in better condition than the ones they already have for that date. Makes me look like a sweetheart. :thumbsup:

You might want to just be somewhat honest and tell them that your a collector and search for all kinds of things like Errors and prooofs and NIFC's .... Basically Bore them to death because you are going to want to have a standing order and the grandkids books would fill up after a couple of weeks. I have had standing orders for over 3 years now. If I gave the excuse above I'd have to lie to them every week about the book's not being complete? And they will be able to tell your not doing it for the grandkids collection.

Mojo

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I usually say i am getting my kids into coin collecting , then i add "dont worry you wont ever see these again"

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Just for laffs ( :laughing7: )do this, I do;

Bring a Bandanna with ya when ya do cold calls, and when you get a bunch of rolls- she usually askes me if have anything to put them in, "YES" & whip out my Bandanna- spread it on counter & help her place rolls on it- as we are doing it I work in a comment ( :laughing7: ) along this line, "feel kinda like Jesse James, only don't use my Bandanna like he did". :laughing7: :icon_salut: ;D

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing mojo; I tell them they look at every coin to see if maybe one of the coins we just got might be in better shape than the ones they already have in the book. I also know you don't HAVE to tell them anything but many times they ask out of curiosity or maybe just to make conversation. Not telling them anything might cause them not to go out of their way to get you any.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
I can see why they would not ask YOU any questions either (if your Avatar is you, you spooky).
I guess you were never in the Navy. I can still hear the whine as I walk down a street in Olongapo, Phillipines. "Hey, sailor! I love you long time" :wink:

jspero

Jul 25, 2006
East Coast USA
d2arcing said:
going to ask for halves, then going to ask if they can order me 1 box a week, but am debating what is best reasoning to give if they ask? was thinking I like to collect real nice condition ones?

I don't tell them anything. It's none of their business what I'm doing with them. The LAST thing you want to do is let them know what you are doing with them. I made that mistake once and had to listen to a lecture about the bank's fees, the trouble the tellers have handling them, blah, blah, blah, all of which is part of doing business as a bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions