Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been on here for two years, don't think i've seen a list yet....best thing for you is to call around. ffd

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my bank is first comuunity federal credit union. one of the branches has a coin machine, free of charge to members. Good luck, they are out there just find one.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
BofA in California has free change counting.. you turn in a bag of change seperated by denomination to them and they bag it off to be counted and credit your account later.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have not seen a list. Call around to the different banks in your area to see if they have one. You may have to open an account at the bank to use it for free. It might not be a bad idea to open a savings account, deposit your finds, and retire rich.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Forget calling around, just go to the banks when asking for halves and look around.Besides TD and some credit unions i noticed peoples united has one but it doesnt take halves so it has become a dump for my pennies and dimes , since dont do quarters and nickels.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
quiksilver said:
Forget calling around, just go to the banks when asking for halves and look around.Besides TD and some credit unions i noticed peoples united has one but it doesnt take halves so it has become a dump for my pennies and dimes , since dont do quarters and nickels.
Hey! That may save you lots of time also!

nicholaswb

May 6, 2009
I found the list at theunderstory.com to be out of date(no updates since '05), and there weren't any in my area either.

I know how you feel, I had to call pretty much every bank in my area to find a free machine in a good location. So, once I found a few, I started a wiki so people like me could find machines in their area, and post when they found machines.
It's located at http://coincounterdatabase.wikispaces.com/
There might not be any in your area since it's fairly new, but if there aren't any, please post any that you find!

On the note of looking for machines while in the bank, many banks in my area have coin machines behind the teller line, so you wouldn't see them just walking in. There are only two (of about ten) banks in my area that have self-serve coin machines.

Good luck! Also, if you can't find a machine, spending halves at stores is a good dumping tactic.

Cheers,
Nick

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing is find all the credit unions in your area. They consistantly have coin machines around me. Very few big name banks around me have machines.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Some are starting to charge. My advice is to bite the bullet and open accounts at banks with coin counters. If you have the money CDs are good because its less paperwork and no rembering fees for inactivity or minimums. TD currently is free but will soon charge. Peoples is also currently free as is Hudson City.Depending on your area diff banks have machines. Some banks have the counter in the back.

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
@nicholaswb:

Thanks for posting this - I went to your Wiki link and added a credit union for Texas. This is a great resource!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread