An opportunity

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
Yesterday I picked up a box of quarters and a whopping $3 in handrolled cents. The only thing I got from the quarters was a handful of Bicentennials. The pennies gave me two wheats and a '46 Canadian.

Last night I had to ask my neighbor for a favor and while we were talking I mentioned that I collected coins. She said that she had a dozen or so coffee cans in her basement from a client (she's an accountant) that are filled with spare change. She had been meaning to go through them but had yet to find the time. Her client is 92 and has been doing this all during his working life. I offered to go through it and pull out anything that might be of value and she immediately accepted and sent me home with a jar of dimes and a coffee can of mixed coins. I spent a couple hours this morning going through that jar and can. The jar had just over $100 in it, all clad with a scattering of Canadians. The coffee can had nearly 850 coins in it totalling nearly $100. Hiding in the can was a Bicentennial quarter and three wheats. Not much but there weren't any coins in there newer than the mid 90's. I'm hoping the remaining cans will prove more fruitful. I'm sure a lot us would love the opportunity to go though several hundred dollars of coins that have been out of circulation for well over a decade. I'll let you know what I find when I'm done. And maybe even included some pics.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get to the bottom of the pile, thats where the older coins are going to be. You probably got the top can which had the most recent coins. If they have been around for 30-40 years, you are going to find some good stuff... Good luck

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
exnatomp said:
Yesterday I picked up a box of quarters and a whopping $3 in handrolled cents. The only thing I got from the quarters was a handful of Bicentennials. The pennies gave me two wheats and a '46 Canadian.

Last night I had to ask my neighbor for a favor and while we were talking I mentioned that I collected coins. She said that she had a dozen or so coffee cans in her basement from a client (she's an accountant) that are filled with spare change. She had been meaning to go through them but had yet to find the time. Her client is 92 and has been doing this all during his working life. I offered to go through it and pull out anything that might be of value and she immediately accepted and sent me home with a jar of dimes and a coffee can of mixed coins. I spent a couple hours this morning going through that jar and can. The jar had just over $100 in it, all clad with a scattering of Canadians. The coffee can had nearly 850 coins in it totalling nearly $100. Hiding in the can was a Bicentennial quarter and three wheats. Not much but there weren't any coins in there newer than the mid 90's. I'm hoping the remaining cans will prove more fruitful. I'm sure a lot us would love the opportunity to go though several hundred dollars of coins that have been out of circulation for well over a decade. I'll let you know what I find when I'm done. And maybe even included some pics.

Do you keep bicentenniel quarters? I haven't heard of anyone on here that does that.

I see a lot of them in the quarter boxes I get (looking for the 5 territories wihtout much luck yet) but i throw them back.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
One of my old builders has at least 3 big water jugs full of change in his house- or he did last time I did some work there. Was pondering calling him and asking if I could cash him out just to search the coins. Coin counter on craigs list for couple hundred, set in back of my truck run an extension chord and dolly them bad boys out the house. I won't do it but fun to think about.
Why would an accountant have a clients change jars? Is that how she got paid? Like OP said maybe you will have some luck toward the bottom- I would do it. The jars I'm thinking about would be a nightmare to get the coin out with the small neck and huge weight. HH Mark

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
JRF30,

I have been keeping the bicentenial quarters for about 3 months or so. No real reason, I just remember liking to pull them out of circulation when i was a kid in the 70's. I will probablly stop once I get t a box of them.

What territorials are you looking for? I have been trowing them back into the coin counters for a while now. I have about 4 rolls worth of Virgin Islands alone in my last box last week. I can pull some aside for you in my next box. Mine will all be P's...

Did you get the lincoln cents that I mailed t you last week?

Andy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread