Wow...wow...wow - I really need a new camera! More Pictures Dates

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Took a little drive around town today during my lunch break and had a bit of good luck. At first I only had a 40% to show for my troubles and was getting a bit discouraged. I decided to take a little extra time for lunch and drive an extra 10 miles out of town and try my luck.

First bank had a handful of skunks - at the second one the teller takes out $13 in skunks and says with a smile how many do you want... I'm thinking oh boy a big skunk dump waiting for me but I play along and say I can take a couple hundred. She chuckles and say "sure" and disappears for a while then returns with $200 in rolls that at least weren't the usual re-rolled brinks rolls. She then says "You want the rest, we got another $170". I figure what the heck, bring em on...

I pay and head out the door and sit in my car and take a look at them. Well there was one old looking roll in the bunch so I figure open that one first and sure enough a skunk. I'm thinking I might as well get this over with so I open the next one not expecting much. But....WOW - all Walkers and Bens. I look down at the rest of the rolls that they were nice enough to put in a box for me and think "no way!". But guess what - :headbang: :hello2: :laughing9: :tongue3: - out they roll. Almost every roll is solid silver. I'm just sitting there astounded as each roll keeps spitting the same thing. Occasionally there were a few clad and the worst roll "only" had two Walkers and a Ben. As this is going down and I'm just staring at the rolls in amazement I'm realizing that this is likely a once in a life event but who knows with this hobby. I'm back at work now and will have to try and get some nice photos and a better count later tonight or tomorrow as I have a day off.

The rough totals:

29 freaking rolls of silver. About 24 of them are 90%. There were so many old coins that I was actually expecting a roll of Barbers but none appeared. Wow is all I kept saying as each roll slid into my hand - WOW.

UPDATE:

Ok got a couple pictures - one is the box full of the rolls and the other is just a random roll with the results. This one had the earliest date a 1935 with a bunch of 40's and 50's Walkers and Bens. Will dig in a little deeper if I get time tonight but am on kid duty so it is a little tough at the moment..

New Update -

Got the time to sort out the rolls a bit. First thing is I underestimated the totals. There was only one roll of 40% so 28 rolls of 90%. Another WOW! Here are the dates of the Franklins. The Walkers will have to wait. I did get about four rolls of pre 1940 Walkers but no key dates in the mix. I'll try to get the Walkers better sorted tonight! Thanks for the comments! :headbang:

3rd Update: Banner :o - didn't expect this. Seems it has created a little firestorm. I'm gonna stay out of that one :wink: - except to say I'll enjoy my ten minutes of fame. I got a chance to go through the pre 40 Walkers and for those keeping score I have posted the dates.

Walkers:
17 - 6
17S reverse - 1
18 - 4
18D - 3
19 - 1
20 - 4
23S - 1
27S - 1
34 - 4
34D - 1
34S - 2
35 - 8
35D - 1
35S - 1
36 - 6
36D - 1
36S - 1
37 - 9
38 - 1
39 - 5
39D - 2

Franklins
49D - 3
50 - 7
51 - 16
51D - 6
51S - 4
52 - 25
52D - 14
53 - 1
53 D - 12
54 - 6
54D - 6
54S - 1
55 - NONE
56 - 4
57 - 1
57D - 8
58 - 1
58D - 13
59 - 8
59D - 3
60 - 1
60D - 7
61 - 2
61D - 3
62 - 12
62D - 3
63 - 11
63D - 22
Kennedy 64 - 42

Maine_Jim

Attachments

• BoxOf28RollsSilver.jpg
    BoxOf28RollsSilver.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 10,044
  • OneRoll.jpg
    OneRoll.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 10,017
  • FranklinDateStacks.jpg
    FranklinDateStacks.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 9,929
  • WalkerTopView.jpg
    WalkerTopView.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 9,918
  • WalkersBensSideView.jpg
    WalkersBensSideView.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 10,109
  • Walker35and37.jpg
    Walker35and37.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 9,840
  • WalkersBensSide2.jpg
    WalkersBensSide2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 9,919
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wow...wow...wow - I really need a new camera! Pictures Added

Congrats Jim! Just goes to show it's still out there. No, wait. That's all of it. Everyone else can stop looking and find another hobby, like knitting. :tongue3:

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
After getting all these coins I now have to go pick up four boxes to sort today :D - I just know they will be a skunk...I'm thinking I better head over to that bank that gave me these rolls also and buy every hand roll they will sell me. Might score some dimes and quarters from the same person that dumped these. :icon_thumright: -

Maine_Jim

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
maine_Jim said:
After getting all these coins I now have to go pick up four boxes to sort today :D - I just know they will be a skunk...I'm thinking I better head over to that bank that gave me these rolls also and buy every hand roll they will sell me. Might score some dimes and quarters from the same person that dumped these. :icon_thumright: -

Maine_Jim

Very good idea to get more hand rolls from that bank.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone dare mention that this is one of those b-a-n-n-e-r finds? I think at least a nomination is in order.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
"thump !" That was my jaw hitting the floor Jim. (old line from Gman or Immy) 8)

Awesome finds and enjoy the high !

Yes, dates and mints when you can, please.

Mucho kudos.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Well, I'd like to think that I didn't "need" a picture of this, but I was wrong - that is freakin' awesome. Congrats!

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Don't know if I was the last to nominate it or if it was being posted while I was sending the nomination but you just made the banner!!!!

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. Congrats on the banner.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rule #1, don't talk about CRH'ng!!!!! :laughing9:
or you wind up making the banner and in turn get tons of new competition... :o

S

seger98

Congratulations, that's a major score & nice to see it on the banner! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread