Searching Dime boxes with out even getting the coins

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just limited to the boxes with plastic rolls.

I ask the tellers if they can show me a box of dimes with transparent plastic rolls.

I look at the whole box jut edge searching and if there is nothing well I do not get the roll.

If I see silver edges I get just that one roll from the box.

Good Idea

DW

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Taking it further-
Slit the roll halfway just enough to pop the silver out and replace it with a clad.
Put a little piece of tape on the slit and put it back in the box on the bottom row.
Now you have a full $250 box to return.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Although this sounds like a good way to find silver and avoid skunks, it seems like if you do it over and over at the same bank they might get tired of it and put a stop to it.

It would kind of be like asking for hand rolls of halves and popping out all the coins and taking out a few keepers and giving the rejects back to the teller.

I guess if the tellers really like you and don't mind you can get away with this type of thing over time.

I don't do dimes, but I still ask for halves. But I take them all and then dump the rejects at another bank. There are lots of CRHers in my area now and I do what I can to not cause problems of any kind.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
Although this sounds like a good way to find silver and avoid skunks, it seems like if you do it over and over at the same bank they might get tired of it and put a stop to it.

It would kind of be like asking for hand rolls of halves and popping out all the coins and taking out a few keepers and giving the rejects back to the teller.

I guess if the tellers really like you and don't mind you can get away with this type of thing over time.

I don't do dimes, but I still ask for halves. But I take them all and then dump the rejects at another bank. There are lots of CRHers in my area now and I do what I can to not cause problems of any kind.

Jim
That's too funny Jim, because that's exactly whats happening now....went to pick up my box of halves recently, teller thought a feller that came in was "me". She sold him some rolls from my box, he went out to the parking lot, searched the rolls, and brought the dumps back in to buy more. It was only then that she asked this guy if he had an account there, he did not, she refused to sell him more rolls, and he left in a huff. I can laugh about this now! ffd

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:

Jim
That's too funny Jim, because that's exactly whats happening now....went to pick up my box of halves recently, teller thought a feller that came in was "me". She sold him some rolls from my box, he went out to the parking lot, searched the rolls, and brought the dumps back in to buy more. It was only then that she asked this guy if he had an account there, he did not, she refused to sell him more rolls, and he left in a huff. I can laugh about this now! ffd

FFD,

Once banks figure out that for the most part CRHers do not add much to their bottom line, I am afraid they will put an end to the fun by adding fees for buying boxes, cashing in dumps, etc. Probably some CRHers have lots of cash in their accounts, but I bet most have minimal accounts at many banks just to be able to get coins there.

I don't really CRH as much since the boxes here have been mostly skunks for the past few months, so I only get hand rolls now (and bags from machines when I can).

I just wish I had started this years ago, because the first 6 months or so of this I was kicking a$$, and the last 12 months have had diminishing returns as each month goes on.

I am so sick of seeing all the marked up halves in the boxes (Brinks, CWI and Dunbar- some of the coins have 3 or 4 different markings on them) I have quit getting them.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i think that the tellers in my town are searching boxes like this right now. that is why i avoid the brinks dime boxes in the coin condoms..

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
jim4silver said:

Jim

It is assumed that you never return your coins where you pick them up!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
TXTim said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

It is assumed that you never return your coins where you pick them up!

That is correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread