I think a new rule needs to be added to the official CRH list!!!!!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
In my humble opinion, all you Ebenezer's out there that are against giving a tip of the hat to those that bring in the big scores , are a bunch of greedy cheapskates.
HH
Rich

Keep this in mind regarding GREED RH,

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much."

Part of the speech by Gordon Gekko in the movie Wallstreet. Awesome movie if any of you have not seen it yet. ;D

Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Jim there is a little problem with the movie quote though. It comes from holleywood for one, which should never be used to guage anything involving morality or right and wrong in my opinion.

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much"

money or greed for money is the root of all evil.

Greed instead of generosity stomps out life like a dieing flame- Just look at some of countries in Africa.

LOVE is the very oposite of Greed. Love gives of itself and is self sacraficing.

I think judging by the way the world is today, the fact that mankinds surge has been upward is highly questionable.

Golden Silver

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, that's it. The end is near! The sky is falling! Coin roll hunting will never be the same again.

I am being overly dramatic here, but sure more people are probably going to see the banner and try CRH themselves, but just like with the increase in metal detectorists in the last few years, people are still making killer finds though. Besides, just like with metal detecting, most people will get discouraged and lose interest in it after a while anyway.

Although......personally if I found that much silver, no one would know. Well, almost no one. ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
golden silver said:
Jim there is a little problem with the movie quote though. It comes from holleywood for one, which should never be used to guage anything involving morality or right and wrong in my opinion.

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much"

Greed instead of generosity stomps out life like a dieing flame- Just look at some of countries in Africa.

LOVE is the very oposite of Greed. Love gives of itself and is self sacraficing.

I think judging by the way the world is today, the fact that mankinds surge has been upward is highly questionable.

Golden Silver

I was not being serious, hence the smiley face.

But what is the real meaning of "greed"? The term "greed" is thrown about by people who often use it to describe somebody that has more than they do. Or, to try and place their values on others and make judgments.

RH seems to infer that those of us who like to keep CRHing to a lower profile in an effort to gain more keepers (whether this is possible or not is open to speculation) is being greedy and a cheapskate--this whole topic in this thread appears to be based on many not wanting to see CRHing finds posted in such a way as to encourage others to start CRHing or bring said finds to light, and thus possibly cause new CRHers to move in on their territory---NOT in any way being mad at the CRHer who found the coins or not being congratulatory simply because he found them (which is what some here seem to want to portray by their posts damning those who don't like the banners).

Perhaps to feel this way can be called "greedy" in wanting to get as many keepers as you can for yourself, but what about CRHers who want to find as many coins as possible and go on roadtrips all the time, covering wide areas of their state and other states to find coins that other CRHer will now not be able to recover, is this greedy? What about concocting schemes to trade low value Indian head pennies and such to tellers for their valuable silver coins and thus make nice monetary gains, is this greedy?

I think the term "greedy" is just a value judgment that really has no true definition. I imagine the communist countries who don't like capitalism like to call Americans "greedy" as well.

I would say the term RH used for "greed" should really be "competitive", since other CRHers in your area can lessen your finds, it is better that there are few as possible if you want to find as many keepers as possible.

If a person wants to start using judgmental terms one could say wanting to have finds posted in a banner where all can see and give props is PRIDEFUL. Isn't "pride" supposed to be bad like "greed"?

I don't think either is bad, but I am just pointing out where things start to go when holier than thou type judgments are made.

Just my opinions.

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
golden silver said:

Golden Silver

Very well put. I couldn't agree more.
Thanks
Rich

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
If other T'Net members feel that a CRHing find is worthy to be on the banner, then it will end up there.
i have to disagree....when i found those 16 rolls of Bens in original rolls many people voted banner but it got nowhere. not that i care, it didn't lessen the thrill of finding them. there were many CRH finds that were equal to or better than the one that is up there now that got voted banner and never made it. :dontknow:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Mistergee I remember that find and yes you should have been up there with us for sure. But you know a that you made a banner find and that is all that matters.

golden silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
golden silver said:
Mistergee I remember that find and yes you should have been up there with us for sure. But you know a that you made a banner find and that is all that matters.

golden silver

Banner, shmanner. He found 16 rolls of BU Bens!! That is what really matters. :hello2:

I hope he didn't cash them in when silver was low a while back.

Jim

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
thanks guys...nope i still have around 300. i gave some out to friends with collections. i'm still going thru them slowly picking out the best 100 to be graded by PCGS. no FBL's yet but i'm keeping my fingers crossed with 4 more rolls to look through. it just hasn't been on the top of the priority list lately. there's alot going on around here but i hope to have them completed sometime after the new year.
OH and i almost forgot, you guys gave me "most unusual find" or something like that in last years CRH AWARDS. that was enough recognition for me. i'll try to dig that up. we should do it again this year.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
it took a few minutes but i found it...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,208258.0.html
Immy started this one. we should do this again for this year. we've had some notable finds that deserve some recognition. i would do it but it will take alot of time sifting through all the posts and i am limited on time. although i'm sure there would be help from everyone. what do you think Immy, want to give it another go? i'll help as much as possible.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I think something important that I haven't seen mentioned yet is this...

This thread (and several of it's participants) are all about disallowing people to vote for a find they think is worthy of the banner. Do you really want to block people's right to vote for something? If so, where does it end???

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mistergee said:
it took a few minutes but i found it...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,208258.0.html
Immy started this one. we should do this again for this year. we've had some notable finds that deserve some recognition. i would do it but it will take alot of time sifting through all the posts and i am limited on time. although i'm sure there would be help from everyone. what do you think Immy, want to give it another go? i'll help as much as possible.

I think that would be a great idea :thumbsup:

Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
af1733 said:

This thread (and several of it's participants) are all about disallowing people to vote for a find they think is worthy of the banner. Do you really want to block people's right to vote for something? If so, where does it end???

I think you are greatly mischaracterizing what many have said.

Many are urging and recommending and wishing that people not nominate big CRHer finds for banner. There is a BIG difference between this type of action and BLOCKING or DISALLOWING as you said, which both involve force or direct action to stop something.

Nobody here said that Treasurenet should not allow CRHer finds to be banners or otherwise force CRHer finds to not become banners.

Jim

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jim4silver said:
af1733 said:

Many are urging and recommending and wishing that people not nominate big CRHer finds for banner. There is a BIG difference between this type of action and BLOCKING or DISALLOWING as you said, which both involve force or direct action to stop something.

Nobody here said that Treasurenet should not allow CRHer finds to be banners or otherwise force CRHer finds to not become banners.

Jim
Read the title of the thread.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
af1733 said:
jim4silver said:
af1733 said:

Jim

Since you haven't been posting on the CRHing site for too long (at least from what I have seen), I will fill you in on a post that came out about a year or so ago. Goldensilver or Mojo (I cannot remember which now) came out with 10 commandments of CRHing, or something to that effect. Some here since refer to it as RULES of CRHing. Many have added to it so it is more than 10 now.

These are suggestions that one should follow to be successful in CRHing, and also to not screw things up for the rest of CRHers in general. Like don't dump where you buy, etc. I am sure the post is on here somewhere.

I imagine that is what the original poster meant when he said RULE, in other words to add it to the COMMANDMENT list.

Maybe you don't fully understand this, but no poster here can FORCE or RULE another poster to do something they don't want to do. The moderators at Treasurenet make the rules, not a CRHing poster.

Maybe the original poster of this thread can respond as to what he meant by his term RULE.

But this is how I see it.

Jim

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jim4silver said:
af1733 said:
jim4silver said:
af1733 said:

Jim

Since you haven't been posting on the CRHing site for too long (at least from what I have seen), I will fill you in on a post that came out about a year or so ago. Goldensilver or Mojo (I cannot remember which now) came out with 10 commandments of CRHing, or something to that effect. Some here since refer to it as RULES of CRHing. Many have added to it so it is more than 10 now.

These are suggestions that one should follow to be successful in CRHing, and also to not screw things up for the rest of CRHers in general. Like don't dump where you buy, etc. I am sure the post is on here somewhere.

I imagine that is what the original poster meant when he said RULE, in other words to add it to the COMMANDMENT list.

Maybe you don't fully understand this, but no poster here can FORCE or RULE another poster to do something they don't want to do. The moderators at Treasurenet make the rules, not a CRHing poster.

Maybe the original poster of this thread can respond as to what he meant by his term RULE.

But this is how I see it.

Jim
You told me that no one here is saying that T'Net shouldn't allow CHR finds to make it onto the banner. My response was that, yes, in fact, the orginal author of this thread is making just that statement.

Please note that I didn't say I agreed with this idea, in fact I am wholly against it. But what you don't seem to understand is that some folks here are absolutely backing the original idea to stop CRH finds from making the banner which, in turn, means negating or ignoring the votes for these finds. Please note that I'm not saying that anyone is taking away anything, but just the fact that people want to take this away is pretty appalling.

And I don't believe I was mischaracterizing what you said specifically, more to the overall vein of the thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions