Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could find an outlet for impaired proofs. I have around 200 (and that is not all I have found, I put the worst 50 back into circulation as they were really not desirable) mostly nice ones I would not mind finding a home for.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
I make a point of just spending them in stores or for gas- people see them and oggle them, figure they get'em and take them out of circulation cause they are so shiny.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sent back to circulation all NIFC Clad including the 1987P and all Impaired Clad Proofs.

I just keep Impaired Silver Proofs but I have find none.

DW

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
The Whole story is incomplete.

Copper-Nickle Clad Proofs found in circulation are impaired and most will reject them if they are scratched or worn.

I keep all the best condition ones and throw back only the worst. I believe they have some value and may try to put together sets and sell them on eBay as a whole set or decades. 70's, 80's 90's and such. I probably have 300+ of them and am sure I can put together a pretty nice collection of every year possibly 2 or 3 sets but one really nice complete set. The mintage on these coins are rather low and one could assume that in the future they should bring a premium. For that reason I am holding on to them as I have 5 children and it would be a small something that doesn't tie up to much capitol that may appreciate some day.

I would suggest you get yourself a copy of the Red Book and check out the numbers. Most of the clad proofs are in the 2 - 2.5 million range in mintage. The 1997S had a little over 2.05 million and lists at $20 for PF65.

With a little knowledge from the red book you can make better decisions on weather to keep them all or save the lower mintage years and not tie up too much capitol.

I had a buddy at work who was a novice coin collector and I managed to put a complete set together for him and he paid me a buck apiece for them.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread