Tellers found me a great deal....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I just got a call from one of the tellers at one of the banks where I get my boxes.

Someone was there trying to cash in some coins that were in "square plastic boxes". I wasn't really sure what they meant until they said they all said Numismatic Guarantee Corporation on them.

I went up there and was met by an older gentleman who was trying to sell them to the bank. The bank manager said they could only give him face value for them and he wanted to get a little more for them. He had already been to the only coin shop in town and been offered next to nothing for them.

I told the man I only had 100 dollars on me and he sighed and said that was better than nothing, and handed me 15 coins, all graded by NGC. I honestly tried to talk him out of it as they were very likely worth a lot more than I could pay for them. He replied that he had a bill he needed to pay by today and he was forced to sell them for whatever he could get.

I had him sign a bill of sale just in case and he was happy to do that so I felt fine buying them from him.

They are as follows...

50c 2005 S Silver Proof in PF 70 Ultra Cameo

5c 2005 S Bison in Proof 69 Ultra Cameo

10c 2005 D SMS in MS 69

25c 2005 S Clad Oregon in Proof 70 Ultra Cameo

25c 2005 S Silver Kansas in Proof 70 Ultra Cameo

10c 2005 S Silver in Proof 70 Ultra Cameo

25c 2005 S Clad West Virginia in Proof 70 Ultra Cameo

25c S Silver Oregon in Proof 70 Ultra Cameo

25c 2005S Silver Minnesota in Proof 70 Ultra Cameo

25c 2005 S Silver West Virginia in Proof 70 Ultra Cameo

1c 1941 D in MS 67 RD

1c 1937 in MS 67 RD

1c 1946 S in MS 67 RD

1c 1939 D in MS 67 RD

1 1899 in MS 64 RB

Just a quick check on the values on ebay and the Indian Head penny is worth what I paid for them.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard times call for extream measures. People gotta pay the bills, I only wish I was standing in line to help them round up the money they needed. I feel sorry for them but if they need it quickly they have to expect to not get much for them.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
rough that the local coin dealer would not give more than that for graded coins -- but with the economy the way it is the dealer might be "stock heavy" (or just plain ole greedy and wanting it for next to nothing) either way things are what they are -- happily thanks to you --it seems the old man was able to get his bill paid * tough times call for tough measures sadly at times --may your kindness in assisting him profiet you many times over.

Dec 2, 2009
Wow...great find....just go to show you that it pays to be friendly with all tellers.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I know this old timer in Providence who pulls this scam. He works this shot with a bank teller. The coins he pawns off with his hard luck stories are Chinese forgeries.
What did this fellow look like? :laughing7:
Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I know this old timer in Providence who pulls this scam. He works this shot with a bank teller. The coins he pawns off with his hard luck stories are Chinese forgeries.
What did this fellow look like?
Rich

Wow, thats pretty ballsy. Hope it wasnt a scam. Are you able to look up the serial number on the slabs?

Dec 2, 2009
I would think that if you knew the old fellow and the teller and they pulled this scam before then you should report the scam to the bank and the teller would be fired. No need for these types of people to be in banks. Just like in all jobs now background checks are required espically in the banking industry and if this guy had pulled this before it would be on file. To get hired in a bank a background and fingerprint search are required.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
5159 said:
I would think that if you knew the old fellow and the teller and they pulled this scam before then you should report the scam to the bank and the teller would be fired. No need for these types of people to be in banks. Just like in all jobs now background checks are required espically in the banking industry and if this guy had pulled this before it would be on file. To get hired in a bank a background and fingerprint search are required.

I'll bet they do a real great check on the CEO's :laughing9:

Dec 2, 2009
CEO would still require a background check but probably his moral values as to if he would take the shareholders or taxpayers money for plane rides to California, family trips to NY for a date with his wife, or large donations/bonuses paid by the taxpayer or shareholders wouldn't show up.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that poor fella that sold them. At least you made out with a good deal. I don't think I would ever sell my collection, I would find another way to pay the bill. It's just like losing more money when you sell your collection for far less than what it's worth. He should have tried craigs list or somethin like that. People are always posting for coins in the items wanted.

OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Rich Hartford said:
Rich

I took them to a dealer I know who has verified them with NGC.

They are not counterfeits.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
placerman said:
Rich Hartford said:
Rich

I took them to a dealer I know who has verified them with NGC.

They are not counterfeits.

I was just kidding with you. However there is a moral to the tale. Sometimes when a deal is too good there is something just not right.
I had two opportunities on unreal PM deals that I had to walk away from because it was too good to be true. One was on a Gold coin set. The price was so good it had to be stolen. Turned out it was and the buyer who accepted the deal was eventually arrested.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I too have been offered those kind of deals and I am very wary of them now.

That's why I had him sign a bill of sale.

He also has an account at the bank....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread