bank manager called today......uhoh......

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
got a call today from my dump bank the one i have my arrangement with. i wondered how long it was going to last. well after almost a year of them providing the bags to me like the coin counter machine uses (because the said that my dumps were causing too much wear and tear on their machine) the manager calls and says the bank can't provide them anymore without a fee to me. he said a case of the bags are 65.00 and if i wished to continue to bring in coins i would have to buy the bags myself. he said that that the bank would have to charge me a fee per bag to send them off with brinks because the bank pays brinks a flat fee plus a extra fee for overages of the limit. he said the bank is always over the fee for bags because of their coin counters ( they are the only ones with counters in this area). i asked him how much per bag was the fee and he said he would have to get back with me on that next week. he said he just wanted to check with me and see if i would be interested in purchasing the bags before he went any futher. i told him i would purchase a case and to let me know on the bag fee.
he went on to say that he was sorry but the bank could not continue to absorb the fees in relation to my dumps. he also said that since i do not do my major banking with them that that was another issue. i asked him what he meant and he said that all you have with us is a checking account that is basically inactive. i then said well, i came to the bank 7 months ago and took out a home mortgaage with you guys and 2 days later after closing yall sold it to somebody else across the country. he then said that was standard practice and they did not hold any any mortages in house anymore. i then said that was not my fault i came in and tried to give yall my most major account and you sold it to somebody else. he then said that it was not going to be a big thing, yada yada yada and he would get back with me on the fee....well, guess we will see......

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we are going to start seeing more things like this with the banks. Hard times for them now.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
they have been trying to get rid of me every way they can think of. wish i had another bank with a counter in my area and i could spread it around.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any credit unions around you SC? I am finding more and more around here have coin counters.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
So there's no other banks around there with a coin counter? What are the odds of others dumping at this bank also? I know my main dump bank wouldn't let me come in with 10 bags of halves a week. I have four accounts with seperate banks here that have coin counters just for when my main is broken or I don't want to dump it all there.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
no other banks in my town have counters. only one credit union here and they don't have noe either. we do have 3 coinstars here but i avoid them because of the fees. i think i might try some banks in the towns near me, but the nearest one i have seen is in a bank that is 40 miles away.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
thrillathahunt said:
I think we are going to start seeing more things like this with the banks. Hard times for them now.

Yes times will really be getting harder; just heard today Obama has plans to beef up NORTHCOM to 1 Million man force in US to prepare for something to come I figure; things is looking really spooky to me.

Oh and we had a Bank 2 months or so ago want to charge us $5 per Box of Half's too, it was right after our 19 of 20 Box find of 162 ounces, 758 Silver (338 were %90's) so we told them to go ahead & order (they only ordered once month), in mean time we found another Bank almost across street who will order for free and they use same Dlv Service (so we canceled the old banks order), though they did just this past week tell us we could only order 10 Boxes a week, still so far though no charge as yet.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i am going to do a internet search tonight and see if i can find any banks within driving distance that have a machine. if i find one i will be honest with the bank manager from day one and tell him/her that i do a large volume of coins and i don't want any trouble down the road. that way if they balk i wont open any account. i need a back up bank at least. i am afraid that my dump bank is going to refuse my dumps sooner or later and i will be left with 10K to get rid of. i would almost be willing to drive to atlanta if i had to which is over 100 miles from me.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
silvercop said:
i am going to do a internet search tonight and see if i can find any banks within driving distance that have a machine. if i find one i will be honest with the bank manager from day one and tell him/her that i do a large volume of coins and i don't want any trouble down the road. that way if they balk i wont open any account. i need a back up bank at least. i am afraid that my dump bank is going to refuse my dumps sooner or later and i will be left with 10K to get rid of. i would almost be willing to drive to atlanta if i had to which is over 100 miles from me.

Why don't you pay your mortgage and everything else with Halves, I do only don't have a mortgage, (but tents aren't very warm in winter either). :laughing7:

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
[/quote]

Why don't you pay your mortgage and everything else with Halves, I do only don't have a mortgage, (but tents aren't very warm in winter either). :laughing7:
[/quote]
i search 40K in halves a month. more than i could ever get rid of paying bills

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

[/quote]
i search 40K in halves a month. more than i could ever get rid of paying bills
[/quote]

When we have a good month we might do 22 or so, if we can dump quick enough; the wife paid her dads taxes today with halves1.8K, of course they weren't very happy bout it.

Figure we will end up paying for Boxes, all of us soon enough, making it problematic for many to do this hobby at a profit; it will be a toss up twenst Road Trip expenses or Box fees, unfortunately both are at best luck of the consistent & draw.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Guess what SC ? I got a message from the chief of operations(whatever that is) at the CU where they photo copied my drivers license the other day.
So when I called him I was somewhat prepared. He said that he had heard that I had issues with handing over my drivers license and that under the Patriot act.... I stopped him right in his tracks. I said the following.
As far as the Patriot Act goes I'm an employee of DHS, have been so employed since it's creation on March 1st,2003 and I am well aware of the law. I don't have a problem with showing my drivers license but I do take issue with it's being copied by one of your employees WHO KNOWS ME.
So he says,er, well,okay. There is another problem though, the amount of coin you cash in and fees yada yada yada. I stop him again by playing the "Race Card" I asked if I was being discriminated against because of my race. Without catching a breath I told him that the same teller who asked for my ID in a previous encounter asked if I was an Eskimo.
I told her that I was a Native American. I went on to say that I faced discrimination before and am well versed on finding a remedy with the aid of my lawyer.
Now the Chief is all flustered and is stuttering(probably just a kid with a big title). No, No, No, we are thinking about imposing a fee for everyone. We are not singling you out at all, and want to retain you as a valued customer.
Good says I, Just send me the fee schedule in writing so that I can ensure that it's not in violation of any State or Federal laws. He said that he would send it to me and have it posted on the machines. I also asked him at some point if the CU was having financial difficulties that the public should be made aware of. He denied this of course, but it did rattle his cage.
I made like I had something important to do and hung up.

So we will see if I get a letter or if a fee is posted on the machines. If it is, my guess is that it will be per transaction over 500 or a thousand dollars. If so I'll dump just under,cash out,and go to my car to grab some coin for a second transaction.
Of course what I told this Fom Thucker was a bunch of B.S sprinkled with a bit of truth.

As far as bank bags go, you can purchase them on line for .65 AP.
HH

Rich

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
obediah said:
thrillathahunt said:

Yes times will really be getting harder; just heard today Obama has plans to beef up NORTHCOM to 1 Million man force in US to prepare for something to come I figure; things is looking really spooky to me.

OB,
From your post I can see that you don't watch too much TV. That story originated in Europe. I heard it on my shortwave radio. I always listen to the foreign news to find out what's going on here.
I assume that you know the rest of that particular story. I do, but I won't repeat it. Spooky is an understatement.
Rich

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
obediah said:
thrillathahunt said:

OB,
From your post I can see that you don't watch too much TV. That story originated in Europe. I heard it on my shortwave radio. I always listen to the foreign news to find out what's going on here.
I assume that you know the rest of that particular story. I do, but I won't repeat it. Spooky is an understatement.
Rich
Yeah now that you mention it it may of come from reference to Russian News Story, listen to a lota stuff, its hard to keep it all in order in my aging hard drive. ;D

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
That is a bummer SC - not unexpected though. I got that call a few months ago. It took a couple weeks but I ended up buying the bags and dumping in exact 1K bags. They said they would debit or credit my account if there were any errors. It could only be one coin type. Before I was bringing mixed bags of any amount and they would run them, crediting my account in an hour. Now they automatically credit my account and I haven't had a single adjustment. I'm only doing 10 boxes a week so 5 bags hasn't seemed to bother them yet. If I lost this option I would have to cut back as I don't have the time for dumping this quantity in a sorter. I guess it depends on how much they want. I would pay a couple dollars a bag for this service so you can do such a large quantity of boxes and then make it up when you get that big hit like you recently had.

Maine_Jim

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
I had a big old Dr.'s bill and paid it with rolls of .50 the lady took it almost $400. You could pay your car note or car insurance. Or better yet buy silver coins at yard sales pay with .50.
You can get creative wally world pay your bill with .50
Light bill here you go.
Water bill here you go.
Hadn't figured how to make this work at the t bar. oh thats what that slot is for? :wink: ....Could you help me find my glasses? :tard:

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i think that the banks are getting tired of dealing with us "monster hunters" as i have been called. as long as the banks make money off of you with your account(s) they want your business. as i said when i bought a house 7 months ago i went to my dump bank for the mortgage. my credit is excellent and i could have gone anywhere but i made it a point to go to them. then what did they do? sold it to string bean and whitticar or some outfit going by a similar name and they turned around and sold it to boa 3 months later. i have a checking account with this bank and i use it to pay monthly bills. i don't have a car loan. i don't know what else they want from me. i tried to give them business and they sold it off. i don't know what is up with these banks. i think they just want us to go away.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
silvercop said:
i think that the banks are getting tired of dealing with us "monster hunters" as i have been called. as long as the banks make money off of you with your account(s) they want your business. as i said when i bought a house 7 months ago i went to my dump bank for the mortgage. my credit is excellent and i could have gone anywhere but i made it a point to go to them. then what did they do? sold it to string bean and whitticar or some outfit going by a similar name and they turned around and sold it to boa 3 months later. i have a checking account with this bank and i use it to pay monthly bills. i don't have a car loan. i don't know what else they want from me. i tried to give them business and they sold it off. i don't know what is up with these banks. i think they just want us to go away.

SC,
It's too bad we both started this hobby so late . Should have started 5 years ago. There still is a lot of silver out there but the game may end long before we get it all.
With all the ups and downs it sure is fun though.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i search 40K in halves a month. way too many to get rid of paying bills. other than the water bill, light bill, gas and groceries the other bills i have to pay online. no local office here to accept payments. i think that the brick and mortar banks will be a thing of the past in 10 years anyway. everyone is moving towards online transactions, direct deposits, etc. the walmart and kroger here are their own banks now mine as well say because they have brinks pick up from them everyday and they don't go to the bank for deposits and change.
i don't fully believe the bank manager's explanation either. he said the bank has a contract with brinks for a X amount of coins that can be picked up and after that they have to pay a per bag fee for overages. my supply bank told me there is no such thing. the vault teller said that there supply service has to handle their change orders no matter how big or small they are.
i still say this is just another ploy to try and get rid of me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread