Traveling coin appraiser at my bank tomorrow!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Fistfulladirt said:
Yee Haw! Can't wait! Might take a key date or two, or a roll of 90's just for a laugh.
Anyone ever had something appraised by these people? I'm assuming an offer is made...
This is a tiny bank in the area, rural setting, Cash for Gold comes to mind. ffd

Yeah, Bank robbery in reverse comes to mind.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I would only take out one coin at a time if it were me. I can only imagine a 3 Card Monty being pulled on you. You might consider putting the coins in 2x2 holders also. Good Luck, keep us posted. Jim

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
"Anyone ever had something appraised by these people? I'm assuming an offer is made..."

But seriously would anyone who is not dumb or desparate really sale to the one who values the coin? If so just take it to a pawn shop and give it away for cents on the dollar.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take him a roll of BU clad Kennedy's and see what he says. Tell him you have an unlimited supply of them.

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
Why not stand next to him and give higher offers?

Normally you cant do this at a hotel buy since you arent staying at the hotel and they are paying for the space. Here you would be a customer and he isn't paying for his 'Rip-em-off room'

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
scotty1418 said:
Why not stand next to him and give higher offers?

Normally you cant do this at a hotel buy since you arent staying at the hotel and they are paying for the space. Here you would be a customer and he isn't paying for his 'Rip-em-off room'

I have actually done this at hotels. I used to park in the parking lot and spy those individuals going in with a shoebox. I would offer them a free appraisal before going in; never offering to buy. When they came out, they always approached me with selling their coins to me. The "buyers" couldn't touch what I appraised them for. The one buyer, Keystone something or other, got so tired of me being a thorn in their side, that I ended up booking a room at the hotel so that I was allowed to be on the premises of the hotel. Couldn't do a darn thing about it.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have actually done this at hotels. I used to park in the parking lot and spy those individuals going in with a shoebox. I would offer them a free appraisal before going in; never offering to buy. When they came out, they always approached me with selling their coins to me. The "buyers" couldn't touch what I appraised them for. The one buyer, Keystone something or other, got so tired of me being a thorn in their side, that I ended up booking a room at the hotel so that I was allowed to be on the premises of the hotel. Couldn't do a darn thing about it.
i remember when you did that....the original post was "cash for gold" or something like that. cool move by the way :thumbsup:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what happened D? did ya take in some of your dug coins? I've never seen one of these turdballs in action, do they have a redbook or grey sheet they use or do they just try to BS the coins out of you

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I never took coins in to be bought. I just worked the outside to ensure that I undercut their business. Their "bid/buy" prices were below greysheet. They were only really interested in silver coins. They didn't even bother with Kennedy halves until the last day. They didn't want to tie up their capital buying common silver halves. They would obviously cherrypick the coins unless a seller came in with a large amount in which case they would lowball the entire lot.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
No kidding, there was this one gentleman toting a shoebox. I looked before he went in and gave him some honest assessments. I showed him the RedBook listings and told him that if I were to buy that I would pay him 30% below RedBook depending on the coin. He had some high grade morgans with semi-key dates. Real nice coins that would list for $125 and up. He went in and said they looked at his coins. Right away, they told him they were common morgans with lots of scratches, etc. They offered him $40 for his best morgan and $12 for his most common. The "buyers" didn't even look at his indian cents. He came out without selling and spoke with me rather dejected. I told him that my offer still stood if he wanted to sell individual coins or I could offer a lump sum for the box. Well, he wanted to sell as he needed the money. I ended up buying the box for $1000. Besides the rolls of morgan and peace dollars, he had some stragglers of shield nickels, flying eagle cents, rolls of indian cents, SLQ quarters, and mint sewn bags of SBA dollars ($250 each bag, 3 bags total). He was just going to spend the SBA dollars. Opened the 79 P bag, and pulled over a full roll of mint state near-date/wide rim dollars. They sell easily for $20/coin.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Am I reading this right? That is an incredible deal! $750 in SBA plus rolls of Morgans and Peace dollars along with Indian cent rolls. Any key dates in the Indian rolls? Ok we need pictures :~)

Maine_Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
maine_Jim said:
Am I reading this right? That is an incredible deal! $750 in SBA plus rolls of Morgans and Peace dollars along with Indian cent rolls. Any key dates in the Indian rolls? Ok we need pictures :~)

Maine_Jim

I still have the SBA in bags from San Fran and Denver. There was no Wide Rim variety for these mints so I kept them in the bag. The indian cents were not key dates, but there quite a few with full Liberty. The Morgans/Peace dollars have long since been integrated into my collection/hoard. I wouldn't know of which ones to pull to show. I've mentioned my wheat hoard around here before, well my silver hoard is even more impressive. I have a 6' high by 3' wide and 2' deep safe that holds the silver. I'm now looking to get my second safe as the first one is entirely filled (I've resorted to sliding individual coins between tubes and corners to fit). I won't be selling for many years to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread