types of rolls

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Jeannette, PA (Westmoreland Co.)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go to the bank, I ask for rolls brought in by customers, you know the rolls with their names on them. So anyways, they only had nickel rolled in plastic rolls, and pennies rolled by machine, the ones with the ends rolled in tightly. So I figured that I would try them out. Happens that I found a 1911 V nickel($2.00 value). My first V ever found. The pennies yielded about 7 wheat's, not bat for 20 rolls. Also in those 10 rolls of nickels, I have found 4 war nickels and many others.
What is the story of the plastic rolls and the "Rim" rolls? Also I would like to know where Coinstar takes their coins after they empty the machine. You never know what people dump in those machines these days.

Upvote 0

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I've found coins in all kind of rolls it's just the luck of the draw.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you didn't get the whole box of nickels I would go back to the same teller and get the rest.
HH
Gilbert

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I like the customer rolls. That's where I've gotten all my big finds. I have gotten nice coins in shotgun and plastic rolls too though.

Good luck.

OWS

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
ginnysdaddy said:
Also I would like to know where Coinstar takes their coins after they empty the machine. You never know what people dump in those machines these days.

Just saw a great story on the history channel a week or so ago called coin operated and they did 5 minuts on coinstar. Maybe you can Google it?

Mojo

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive gone through a couple of boxes of pennies from the bank that were "shotgun" rolls. I feel that I did pretty good.
Gonna get another box tommorrow and think I'll ask for customer rolled just as a comparison. My pick up bank doesn't have a coin machine, so I'm guessing that they get them from the Fed. They are a small Credit union with only 3 facilities.
Might have to take a road trip to the third location to see what they have...

Scott

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had decent scores from customer rolls, local bank rolls (my supply bank has its own coin wrapping machine), and large coin companies (Brinks, Loomis, etc.).

-Codes

supn9

Oct 21, 2009
They probably deposit them. The people that service the machine can go through the coins on the magnet and can keep stuff that gets stuck. They can also go through the coins themselves.

Your best bet is to actually talk to a coinstar worker in the place they have a machine. Sometimes the workers or whos in charge will give away the coins on the magnets

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
To my knowledge coinstar machines reject most old coinage that includes silver and wheats. I have found both in the reject tray on a coinstar machine.

golden silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread