Warning: A second person comes forward ...

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
It is with extreme sadness that I write this post. Sadness for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that this person was a regular and a GOOD person (or so I thought) on this board. Now I doubt much of what he said, and don't know what to believe.

I'll put his name at the end, even though it is important to know. I want to tell what happened first, so you know I have TRIED to NOT write this. And that I still do so reluctantly.

I bought some coins from someone on this board. Paid him with two checks, and although it wasn't huge money I'm not talking about $5 or $8. I sent the money about November 1st. He got the money, said he was going to mail the coins, and I waited.

After about a week more, I IM'd him. He said he was going to get the coins out, but had not yet. Then he sent me a PM saying they went out a few days later.

That was the last I heard from him. Also, about that time he STOPPED writing on this board, and has not VISITED the site since 11/20, per his signon page.

I did not get the coins. I sent a PM. Nothing. I sent a PM and an email. Then another of each. Nothing. I waited days between these messgaes. All were a friendly tone and manner, just asking if he put any tracking on them, and where he sent them to, to make sure the address was correct. I had no inkling of any doubt, and was writing in a friendly manner just hoping to get more information as I waited for my coins. No replies came.

I sent numerous emails to his personal email address plus PMs through this site. Nothing.

Finallly, I sent him a letter in the regular mail. This way, even if his computer was broken (Which would explain why he was not posting any more AND why he would not respond to my messages) he would get my message. Even after a MONTH of not getting my order OR a reply, I was STILL thinking there must be an explanation for all this. NO response even to the regualr mail letter. NOw it is six weeks since I paid. I must admit to myself, and share with the board, that I see no other reason other than he is ignoring me and my money is gone. The coins never came, the replies stopped coming, he stopped coming to this board, and I only wonder if anyone else was buying from him and did not get their order.

I have tried everything. I can not get a response.

So, it is with this sadness that I write that it is my opinion that others should please NOT TRUST and NOT SEND MONEY To the following person, as I personally think he is not honest. If things change, I shall GLADLY inform the board that I got the coins, or my money back, or something. But right now, I think we need to avoid him until he replies as to what happened to the order he supposedly sent me, and why he is not responding at all (See? I STILL am trying to figure it out and have faith in SOME way that something HAPPENED to him, and he WILL follow up on this! I'm just not able to believe he screwed me. But until I find out otherwise, please know I Must write this to the board)

The person who disappeared and took my money is

Jason Baker aka Shake-N-Bake.

Jason - if you read this ... I'm still wanting to know what's going on, and why you won't reply to me in any form at all. I sent money and now you are gone. That is fraud, and the P O wants to give you until the end of December and then look into this as postal fraud. ANother step i do NOT want to take, but you need to either send me the coins or send my money back. And COMMUNICATE, so I know what is going on.

I feel like "I" am the bad one, writing that a member screwed me. But I'm the victim here, and I HAVE tried to communicate to him. IMs. PMs, Email Even a letter. NO reply says a LOT to me. Communication would have been so easy, but now I think I was scammed, so I guess I'm asking for too much. And now the board knows, and can watch out for the same guy. Hopefully no one else gave him money and is waiting for an order.

later (maybe much later, as this deflated me)

John

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Re: Warning: I was scammed by someone on THIS board!

mistergee said:
i have not had any dealings with Jason except for communicating with him on this board. i know he has done numerous exchanges here on the board and all went well. in my opinion i think something happened to him.(i hope not but this is the only reason i can come up with for him abruptly ending all contact) he is a young man who had to end his career due to a very serious back injury. at one point he could only post here because his back was so bad he couldn't even search coins. then when he restarted he went to pennies as they were all he could handle. in my opinion this hobby and this board are all he has. i can't believe he would give up the only thing he has left that he enjoys and is able to do. his last posts he mentioned his back was bothering him again. i feel he may have had to go in for surgery again. if this is the case and his family doesn't know how important this is to him, they may have not even told him he had mail. they may feel his health is more important right now and are waiting for him to get better before allowing him to deal with his "other" matters.
i think he may have told you he sent them to buy some time and before he could make good something happened or got worse and he was unable to do so.
again this is only my opinion based on my past with Jason.

If the info posted by Ifyndit is true and accurate, it would seem the whole health/back issue is out the window, right?

If he defaulted on his part of a deal as far back as April, but has still been posting as late as November, it would certainly seem to limit any health excuses for non-performance. If someone can type on a keyboard you would think they can send PMs to you, or direct someone else to do it for them. Again, this would all hinge on the accuracy of Ifyndit's info in his post.

I don't "have a dog in this fight" so to speak, and I don't personally know any of the involved parties so I don't know what has taken place for sure. But if somebody is intentionally taking money and not performing their part, it is a big deal. Depending on the amount involved it could be a felony charge at the state level, and probably is at the federal level as well.

Jim

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Re: Warning: second person now taken by Jason??

Ifyndit said:
John,

I'm in the same boat as you with Jason. I've done some great trades with him in the past but this last transaction went bad. This last trade took place in April and I still haven't seen my half of the trade! Many PM's were sent back and forth and each time I was told "I'm dropping it off in the mail tomorrow" or "I have it ready to mail". Haven't seen a thing from him or even heard back from him since early November.

I am very disappointed in his dishonesty and lack of communication.

THIS is why I posted my post on the topic.

Ifyndit has been waiting for an order since April. It has not come. If I had seen a post from him saying he did not get his stuff, I would not have bought from Jason. Instead, since there was no post, I sent him money. And the excuses came to me in the same format as they apparantly came in April.

I posted my problem because I don't want others to also send money and go down the same route.

Granted, I don't know what happened to him in November to have him stop communicating, but I can say that it happening twice is not a good sign, so I"m glad I at least have let others know that it happened to me. If it stops someone else from losing money, it is worth the effort to put it here.

Ifyndit I'll PM you later today. Busy morning ...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have his address right? Contact him by snail mail with a certified letter. Someone will have to sign for it. If still no response contact his local police and file charges.
HH
Gilbert

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the guys a shyster.
Granted, anyone can die anytime, but people aren't known to drop dead from bad backs too often.
He cashed the check, said the items were in the mail, they weren't so hes a lying crook.

I would suggest people use paypal for transactions like these.
Yes, you take a hit with fees, but at least you have some recourse if someone decides to stiff you.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If you really want justice.. you have his address right? You can call his local police department and ask if they will do an attempt to contact for them and you're considering charges (depends on how much he owes you). Call his local police department and see what they say. If someone was there and if the dude is really ill, the department might let you know. It doesn't hurt to try. If you really want it really bad, you know where he lives (hopefully you didn't mail to a PO Box), you can go there for a personal visit. Do a surveilance job first to see who lives there and find the best time to confort the man. I would do it at a time if he has his wife or kids there. Typically people didn't want trouble when their families are around. Just tell you want to be paid or get your coins back.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have read where he has made several successfull transactions with people on this board. why would he honor some and not others? :icon_scratch: this is very puzzling to me especially for someone who has been posting here over 2 years.

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have a PM from a THIRD person that sent to Jason and got emails saying he was about to send the items, but then never did.

To me the case is closed. Three people denotes a "pattern" of non delivery. So now the board has been warned. And I am moving on to other topics. :-)

Merry Christmas to all on the board. IN spite of this setback, this is a GREAT board, and a GREAT hobby. :-)

JOhn in AZ

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
I'm starting to wonder if the gold I got from him is real now... Anyone know anything about the 2 1/2 dollar gold indian? How to spot a fake?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Cherryman68 said:
I'm starting to wonder if the gold I got from him is real now... Anyone know anything about the 2 1/2 dollar gold indian? How to spot a fake?

Weigh it and measure it and compare to specs. If it is not real gold it will be either light by quite a bit or it will be too large if it weighs right.

That is what is great about gold. It is hard to counterfiet coins without using platinum (which costs more than gold) or tungsten (which from what I have read is impossible to use to make real looking coins because of its brittleness, but it can be done with bars).

Here is a link that shows some specs. Don't know if they are correct so you can google and get more to compare.

http://www.thegoldcoinstore.com/USGoldCoins/250_Indian_Head.php

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread