Warning: A second person comes forward ...

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
It is with extreme sadness that I write this post. Sadness for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that this person was a regular and a GOOD person (or so I thought) on this board. Now I doubt much of what he said, and don't know what to believe.

I'll put his name at the end, even though it is important to know. I want to tell what happened first, so you know I have TRIED to NOT write this. And that I still do so reluctantly.

I bought some coins from someone on this board. Paid him with two checks, and although it wasn't huge money I'm not talking about $5 or $8. I sent the money about November 1st. He got the money, said he was going to mail the coins, and I waited.

After about a week more, I IM'd him. He said he was going to get the coins out, but had not yet. Then he sent me a PM saying they went out a few days later.

That was the last I heard from him. Also, about that time he STOPPED writing on this board, and has not VISITED the site since 11/20, per his signon page.

I did not get the coins. I sent a PM. Nothing. I sent a PM and an email. Then another of each. Nothing. I waited days between these messgaes. All were a friendly tone and manner, just asking if he put any tracking on them, and where he sent them to, to make sure the address was correct. I had no inkling of any doubt, and was writing in a friendly manner just hoping to get more information as I waited for my coins. No replies came.

I sent numerous emails to his personal email address plus PMs through this site. Nothing.

Finallly, I sent him a letter in the regular mail. This way, even if his computer was broken (Which would explain why he was not posting any more AND why he would not respond to my messages) he would get my message. Even after a MONTH of not getting my order OR a reply, I was STILL thinking there must be an explanation for all this. NO response even to the regualr mail letter. NOw it is six weeks since I paid. I must admit to myself, and share with the board, that I see no other reason other than he is ignoring me and my money is gone. The coins never came, the replies stopped coming, he stopped coming to this board, and I only wonder if anyone else was buying from him and did not get their order.

I have tried everything. I can not get a response.

So, it is with this sadness that I write that it is my opinion that others should please NOT TRUST and NOT SEND MONEY To the following person, as I personally think he is not honest. If things change, I shall GLADLY inform the board that I got the coins, or my money back, or something. But right now, I think we need to avoid him until he replies as to what happened to the order he supposedly sent me, and why he is not responding at all (See? I STILL am trying to figure it out and have faith in SOME way that something HAPPENED to him, and he WILL follow up on this! I'm just not able to believe he screwed me. But until I find out otherwise, please know I Must write this to the board)

The person who disappeared and took my money is

Jason Baker aka Shake-N-Bake.

Jason - if you read this ... I'm still wanting to know what's going on, and why you won't reply to me in any form at all. I sent money and now you are gone. That is fraud, and the P O wants to give you until the end of December and then look into this as postal fraud. ANother step i do NOT want to take, but you need to either send me the coins or send my money back. And COMMUNICATE, so I know what is going on.

I feel like "I" am the bad one, writing that a member screwed me. But I'm the victim here, and I HAVE tried to communicate to him. IMs. PMs, Email Even a letter. NO reply says a LOT to me. Communication would have been so easy, but now I think I was scammed, so I guess I'm asking for too much. And now the board knows, and can watch out for the same guy. Hopefully no one else gave him money and is waiting for an order.

later (maybe much later, as this deflated me)

John

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Warning: I was scammed by someone on THIS board!

Wasn't he having some health problems? Or am i thinking of someone else?

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

That sucks. Maybe that's how he got the screen name Shake-N-Bake.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lets hope nothing bad has happened to him. I think he did have some back issues. John, your frustration is understood. Anyone on here know him personally?

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV

John,

I'm not sure what is going on with Jason right now bu it has me worried. I just did a $500+ trade with him and it did take him a little while to get them to me but everything was perfect as all my dealings with him have been.

Right before the 20th when he last signed on I ordered some new supplies for my collection and he said he was not going to charge me because of the delay on the last package. and then asked me about another trade HE was intrested in.

I replied same day and have not had a reply since then. Due to the circumstances of our last conversation I can't help but think something happened to him. Something bad, like throwing his back out again and being in the hospital.

I have had many many successful trades with him and in my experience he has always delivered MORE than he promised. That's why your post and the fact I have not heard back from him on the supplies I wanted and the trade HE wanted has me worried.

I hope he is OK and can get in contact with you soon. I just wanted to share what information I had that might help. If you want to PM me I'll go into far more detail then I will here.

Thanks,
Michael

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006

I definitly understand your frustration,The no reply issue makes it hard to understand whats going on.I do recall him having back issues and it was not that long ago he posted he was having problems again.He has always been professional and a great contributor to the board.I don't wish anyone ill health by any stretch of the imagination but I have to believe that he has something going on again.Still he should have gotten the snail mail and replyed to that even if he cant get to computer.If you have his last name maybe try tracking down a phone number and giving him a call.Please keep us posted on this and if anyone knows if he is ok let us know...jon

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Hey John, I understand your frustration. Believe me. I don't know Shake personally but I know that he has done great deals with many on this forum. I do know that he is one of the old heads that have been around a while longer than most. Not trying to cover for him because like I said I don't have any personal connection with the guy but this seems contrary to everything I have seen and heard him do. Logically when something so completely contrary to someones normal actions occurs there has to be some sort of outside factor affecting the outcome. Given his history of stepping away from the Hobie due to complications with his injuries which from what I gather severely limit his mobility to the extent that his wife has to pick up coin for him, this seems most certainly a result of health problems. I have confidence that he will return in a month or two and make good on his deal with you and any others that are waiting. Like I said, he has dropped off the page before and come back. Usually he was in the hospital. If I my suspicions are correct Shake will apologize for his absence and not think ill of you for this message. Heck I would be just as upset if it were my money. Good luck to you.

Golden Silver

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

John,

Hopefully there is a good reason and our forum/community doesn't become permanently blemished.
You will just have to be more patient, unfortunately. Goood luck.

Derek

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

This is why I would only buy from local coin dealers where I walk in with money and walk out with PMs.

If things are not cleared up over time, I would call the police. That might sound harsh, but if it is an honest error/mistake (which from how it sounds it probably is), then it will all be cleared up and nobody will be in trouble.

If it is not an honest error/mistake, you will have a better chance of getting your money back.

Even if it is an honest error/mistake, it is not right that John's checks have been cashed and he has not received anything in return. Unless Shake n Bake is unconscious or worse (God forbid that), he should be able to have a relative or friend contact John and let him know what is going on in the course of a month.

What is weird is that he PM'd John and said the coins were sent. You would think they would be there by now.

Jim

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know the guy. Do you think the amount you paid is enough for him to abandon this board? While I do understand your frustration it looks as if there may be extenuating circumstances. You might consider asking that this thread be deleted and posting a new thread inquiring about his whereabouts. That may get some answers without wrecking his name on this board and if it doesn't work then I would slam him.

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009

I hope this gets resolved. Problems like this take the enjoyment out of a great hobby.

OWS

Ju8vP3t

I did a deal with shake-n-bake earlier this year, sold him a couple rolls of NIFC Ken's, he was prompt with his payment, and like it's been stated, I think he has reported some medical problems, I've dealt with 80-90 different members of multiple forums, and a few here on TN, 2 of which with regularity and deals into the several hundreds to over a thousand in value, so far all has gone well, if indeed shake-n-bake has experienced some medical issues, as a seller you should take the responsibilty to communicate with the buyer regardless of whatever happens

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason is on another coin related board that I belong to. We had a big transaction last March and all went well. He has not posted on the other chat group since 5-9-09 I do know he had medical issues, pretty sure it was his back.

There must be a good reason he has not gotten back to you and it is probably bad news about his health.

Dec 7, 2009

We all love and enjoy this hobby but, mostly we're older guys ( I say sticking my neck out a bit ... ) ... and, we probably all have some loved ones or dear family members in our lives who may or may not know much about our silly little coins ...

Let's face it, when it comes to our little hobby, even some of our closest of family would not know were to pick it up, in the event of our sudden absence ... Unless given specific instructions ... and even then, who knows what the outcome may be ...

I am new to this hobby and this board, therefore I don't know the gentleman who has gone silent ... But I say give him time, try to contact his relatives, and pray for him ... We all here hope your trading partner puts right your transaction and wish you both a Merry Christmas ... !

M :icon_thumright:

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50

John,

I'm in the same boat as you with Jason. I've done some great trades with him in the past but this last transaction went bad. This last trade took place in April and I still haven't seen my half of the trade! Many PM's were sent back and forth and each time I was told "I'm dropping it off in the mail tomorrow" or "I have it ready to mail". Haven't seen a thing from him or even heard back from him since early November.

I am very disappointed in his dishonesty and lack of communication.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Ifyndit said:
John,

I'm in the same boat as you with Jason. I've done some great trades with him in the past but this last transaction went bad. This last trade took place in April and I still haven't seen my half of the trade! Many PM's were sent back and forth and each time I was told "I'm dropping it off in the mail tomorrow" or "I have it ready to mail". Haven't seen a thing from him or even heard back from him since early November.

I am very disappointed in his dishonesty and lack of communication.

I don't think this bodes well for JRF in getting his stuff, if it is true that your deal has not been fulfilled since last April. ???

Jim

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

i have not had any dealings with Jason except for communicating with him on this board. i know he has done numerous exchanges here on the board and all went well. in my opinion i think something happened to him.(i hope not but this is the only reason i can come up with for him abruptly ending all contact) he is a young man who had to end his career due to a very serious back injury. at one point he could only post here because his back was so bad he couldn't even search coins. then when he restarted he went to pennies as they were all he could handle. in my opinion this hobby and this board are all he has. i can't believe he would give up the only thing he has left that he enjoys and is able to do. his last posts he mentioned his back was bothering him again. i feel he may have had to go in for surgery again. if this is the case and his family doesn't know how important this is to him, they may have not even told him he had mail. they may feel his health is more important right now and are waiting for him to get better before allowing him to deal with his "other" matters.
i think he may have told you he sent them to buy some time and before he could make good something happened or got worse and he was unable to do so.
again this is only my opinion based on my past with Jason.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

here is a recent quote from him that makes me think its his back.
WOW WOW WOW!!! I'm speechless... 25 Indians! Btw, not to sound rude or anything, but do you have a job/wife/kids? Just wondering, because I can't imagine a person with a job to have that much time on their hands; sorry if I sound rude.

Don't worry I did not take it as you being rude. It is a common question with the quantities that I do. OK... Wife = Yes, she helps also, not as much as me but she does love to search nickels. She searches about 5 boxes a week of nickels. Kids = Yes, Three (14, 8, 6). They help open the rolls and then search the for wheats in the copper after being sorted by the RYEDALE. So that also answers a few others questions, Yes I have a Ryedale (may be adding another Ryedale after the first of the year). Job = No. I owned a sign and printing company for 12 years then had a serious back injury. I then sold the business and after 2 surgeries and 18 months of recovery I now consider myself a PROFESSIONAL COIN ROLL HUNTER!!! I just cant handle retirement at age 35 so I took up this AWESOME hobby.
however this leads me to believe that his family was involved in the hobby but they may not know how or what to do with regards to this forum.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Maybe someone lives close enough to him to take a trip and go see him or if he is even alive- make a determination as to what has actually happened to him. You could turn it into a Road Trip at same time too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread