timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to a new bank yesterday, one that I'm not even a member of and asked for halves. They said they had $120, so I asked for them all. The gentlemen next to me was talking to a teller and was showing them a coin, and I heard him say 1953 half dollar. I looked over at him and asked if he was a collector, he just smiled and said no, he got it when he was in Saudi Arabia. He then got a phone call and walked out.
My teller brought me my coins, and I handed her the cash, and I left. As I walked out, the man was in his truck, and rolled down his window to show me the coin. He appeared to be very wealthy, dressed very nice. He actually showed me 2 Halves, a 52 and 53. I asked "you'r not a collector??" He replies " Nope, I'm a gambler, and sometimes I come across rare coins." I asked him if I could buy them and made an offer. $5, suprisingly he accepts it. I reach in my wallet, all I have is a $10 bill, or $4 in ones. I ask him if he has change for the ten, he says no. I said "All I have is a 10, or 4 ones." He says "Give me the four ones and we'll call it good." I couldn't beleive it. He then went on to say he has a whole bunch of gold and silver coins at home. He was in a hurry and had to get going, I didn't have time to get his number. I thought about going back to the bank today and leaving my number with the tellers to give to him next time he is back.
I think I made out pretty good, I paid a little over face value, but I think it was totally worth it.. I didn't have any Bens yet, now I have 2. I haven't searched the 120 yet, and I actually made a stop at another bank and got $20 more. I'll let you all know what I find in the $140.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone through 9 of the rolls, and found 7 silvers.
A 69, two 67's, two 66's, and two 64's.... Not bad at all, 9 total if you include the 2 bens I got for $2 a piece. I am going christmas shopping, and will open the rest tonight.. I like to keep the suspense alive.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have given it to him, but he said the 4 was fine... I'm not gonna twist his arm to give him more money.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I only got one more, so I got 10 keepers . 5 of them new to the collection, 5 to the silver stash. Not bad for customer rolls.
Might be picking up some more rolls tomorrow, we'll see

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post pics as soon as I can guys, along with my penny haul I got a few days ago.
Thanks

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting