Kennedy Error Question

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
Hi everyone.

I just had a quick kennedy half question. I have a 1984 that does not have the FG initials on the reverse. Is it worth anymore than 50 cents? I looked them up on ebay, but most(if not all, i havent checked in a while) were 1982. Is there a market for the coins? Also, do any of you know what may have caused this? I have heard of the coins missing either the "F", the "G", or both.

thanks,

Alex.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had a pic it would be good. Another thing to remember is there has to be no trace of the lettering at all. If it's just very faint it doesn't qualify.
HH
Gilbert

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
I'll try and get a picture up in a little while. My camera doesnt work, so I would have to go to a friend of mine who has a scanner.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I believe this error is most associated with the 82P but other years have the error as well.

You can find more information on errors in a book called "Strike It Rich with pocket change"

The book lists the 82P,83P & 89P and places a value of $15 in uncirculated condition and $3.75 in EF. condition

I think a lot of the no FG's are Greased die errors due to the location of the initials. It has to be completely missing, no sign of the initials.

Mojo

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
Ok, I took a second look at the coin, and there is just the faintest trace of the FG. I had to use a 10x magnifier and a flashlight to see it. It is literally, just barely there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread