GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Questions...Banks & Brinks

When I went in to pick up my 2ND box today (SKUNKED) there was a new teller whom by her tone and demeanor I assumed was either the branch manager or head teller. She asked me what I was looking for...Silver or Specific dates? I told her both. She then went on to tell me I was pretty much wasting my time because all of the coins they turn into brinks get rerolled and delivered right back to her so essentially I was getting back what I turned in. She also told me another guy was doing the same thing and she just wanted me to know I was getting the same coins back and she didn't want me to be spinning my wheels...or wasting my time without full knowledge of the fact.

At first I thought maybe she didn't want me coming to the bank for this anymore, but then she said it was ok, but...$500 sits in her vault for awhile until they get $1000 to fill the bag so they can send it out. So I asked her what is easiest for you and the bank...she said $1000 worth of halves vs $500 at a time. This is no problem for me and I said ok...lets do it. Her attitude changed a little and she seemed glad I agreed to the $1k worth.

So now my question...

We turn our coins into the bank in canvas bags. She sends them out to Brinks the same way and in return orders us boxes of halves which are rolled. So...is it feasible that I am getting the same coins or is there so many banks doing this it is not a practical thought? Some of you long timers chime in please...thanks.

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Re: Questions...Banks & Brinks

GlassyEyed said:
When I went in to pick up my 2ND box today (SKUNKED) there was a new teller whom by her tone and demeanor I assumed was either the branch manager or head teller. She asked me what I was looking for...Silver or Specific dates? I told her both. She then went on to tell me I was pretty much wasting my time because all of the coins they turn into brinks get rerolled and delivered right back to her so essentially I was getting back what I turned in. She also told me another guy was doing the same thing and she just wanted me to know I was getting the same coins back and she didn't want me to be spinning my wheels...or wasting my time without full knowledge of the fact.

At first I thought maybe she didn't want me coming to the bank for this anymore, but then she said it was ok, but...$500 sits in her vault for awhile until they get $1000 to fill the bag so they can send it out. So I asked her what is easiest for you and the bank...she said $1000 worth of halves vs $500 at a time. This is no problem for me and I said ok...lets do it. Her attitude changed a little and she seemed glad I agreed to the $1k worth.

So now my question...

We turn our coins into the bank in canvas bags. She sends them out to Brinks the same way and in return orders us boxes of halves which are rolled. So...is it feasible that I am getting the same coins or is there so many banks doing this it is not a practical thought? Some of you long timers chime in please...thanks.

I have gotten (when marked my coins) back but it took 3 & 4 months to do it, got 6 or 8 back over 2 moth period have not seen any of them since but have seen hundreds pus of other folks marked coins :laughing7: .

I try to take trips to another Fed district to dump, it may be silly or futile but it makes me feel good like maybe they don't come back to me.

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas

In my opinion, that teller was just trying to discourage you. She's probably trying to do the same as you, and doesnt want the competition. If it were me, I would of told her that I was just trying to complete a coin folder or something.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

Do this long enough and you will see your "dumps" regardless of what you do.
I pick up at a Brinks bank and dump at a Loomis bank, so I won't see my dumps for years.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Fredness said:
I pick up at a Brinks bank and dump at a Loomis bank, so I won't see my dumps for years.

See we each have theories that make us feel good :laughing7: .

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

They all make the circle but some people believe you can slow it by dumping at a different distributor. You dump enough and they go back to the fed bank who will in turn send them back to your distributor thus the circle gets made. You might get lucky for a year or two :icon_thumright: -

Maine_Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Fredness said:

That is unless the guy buying boxes from Loomis decides to dump his rejects at a Brinks bank, much like you do but just the opposite.

There is so much cross-dumping going on in my area that it really doesn't matter where you buy or dump, you are generally gonna get the same coins back in short order. Hopefully some silvers make there way into the mix as well.

Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I would recommend a Federal Reserve tour for everyone. They are free, but you have to arrange for them in advance so they conduct a background investigation ahead of time. But you will learn some valuable information. Understanding the operation of the various districts will help you in your quest for silver. Your best bet to not see you coin would to be supplied from one district and dump in another. If you have the patience, dump your coin rolled in small quantities ($750 or less) in a different district. Spread the dumps to every branch in the district. Make sure that the amount is a small enough so that they can't send it out. It will sit in their vault and rot or until another unlucky CRH'er asks for them.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Just dump at a different bank that doesn't use brinks.. this really works. I used to get Brinks boxes long ago but determined at some point that I was really getting low returns such as someone's dumps. So I get CWI boxes now from a different bank and dump at the brinks branch. If your brinks rolls are never good, try ordering from a different bank that doesn't use brinks. Also mark your coins so you can tell if you are or how often you're getting your coins back. I do occasionally get my marked coins back but not often. This tells me this system works.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

What you described is an idea situation if there are no fees involved. As described in all the examples above you will eventually see your own dumps regardless of wether you cross Brinks and Loomis or dump in another district to get your dumps away but what if another guy in that district does what your doing and dumps them back in your district. So all kinds of theories, and all are valid.

I know that we say you should not dump where you buy but if all is agreeable and your getting rolled coin and returning bagged coin, than there is still a degree of hope that someones coin collection will get mixed in with your dumps at Brinks processing facility and you will get them mixed in with your next box order. It's really the only way we find any Silver at all.

But one stop banking especially if it's close to home is Idea.

Mojo

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

Mojo, I have lost 2 banks because some of my competition does just that, is only a matter of time before they get tired of it and quit you. They may not mind today but a month or so down the road who knows. HH Mark

OP
OP
GlassyEyed

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the rplies from all...

I am relatively new to this so I thought a more advanced CRHr could give me some clues. But honetsly it seems everyone has a different opinion...which is expected.

I use this bank to order my boxes and to dump...and yes it seemd the one lady was trying to discourage me, but fortunately she does not work when I normally go in (late on Fridays) due to my work schedule. The other two ladies on Friday nights are as nice as can be so I will be dealing with them mostly.

I'll just start ordering two boxes as week as requested and maybe that will be good will enough on my part to keep at it with this bank. Thanks again for the tips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread