Unusual Find, answers?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
OK, so here's what I do when searching a roll of halfs- the first thing is to look at the edges while they are still stacked and pull out the silver, right? Well, when I did this a Bicentennial came out. No prob, I was quite pleased! Even more so when I saw it was mint state! Whats weird is, it's a Denver.

Also, notice the streaking on the finish, both sides- it is quite a bit more noticeable in real life.

The Black looking marks on the obverse are a trick of light, these are actually the only wear marks on the coin, really light rubs from the rolling, and they are quite shiny, not black.

I shot a pic of the edge,too, to show what I saw- no copper clad.

What is this made of?

Thanks go to Spiderman, the coinholder-

Attachments

• Kennedy1.jpg
    Kennedy1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,187
  • Kennedy2.jpg
    Kennedy2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,154
  • Kennedy Edge.jpg
    Kennedy Edge.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,150
Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Not unusual for it to be in mintstate, any coin can be in it. S mintmark means proof coin not uncirculated. But the edge is kinda strange, but i think they may have made a type of silver one that year, not sure though :-\

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd... I really don't have any idea either. Maybe you got lucky and found a rare error? If nobody else chimes in then take it to a coin dealer.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Oh yeah, I also found 2 40 percent silver out of 100 dollars worth, and a 1972 that was proof at one time, a bit scratched now, but the shine still comes through nicely.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

That is a very good find you have! Its not an error of any kind, they made Silver Clad Bicentennials! .800 silver outer layer .200 Copper bonded to a inner core of .209 silver! Total Silver .14792 OZ (Pure.) Mostly S Proof coins. Many of these were melted in 1982! Total Value is $3.00-$5.00

However yours is a D mintmark so that is a little strange!

Keep @ it and HH!!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
No 1976 D coins contain silver (all were S mint, both the circulation and proof coins), unless you found a very valuable mint error (I doubt that is it though).

Easy test is ding it against a clad and hear if it sounds silver. If it is, it is worth alot of $$$$ or counterfeit.

If you cannot see any trace at all of copper on the rim it is possible/likely somebody polished/plated the coin in some way to make it look that way.

I have found bicentennials like yours that had a pure silver looking rim, but it was because somebody did something to it post-mint to make it look that way. It was not silver since it failed the ring test.

People were kind of weird with the bicentennials (gold plating them, etc) so I bet somebody treated it someway to appear all silver.

Jim

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Since nobody said it yet, I will.

What you have there is a silver plated bicentennial halve. It was silver
plated AFTER it left the mint. Places like Littleton and late night
infomercials sell silver/gold/copper/platinum/paint covered coins all the time.

Often when someone realizes that the plating actually reduces the value
of the coin, they will just spend it or cash it in. In this case, there were
so many 1976 halves made, even without the plating, the coin was basically
only worth face value.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
XX said:
Since nobody said it yet, I will.

What you have there is a silver plated bicentennial halve. It was silver
plated AFTER it left the mint. Places like Littleton and late night
infomercials sell silver/gold/copper/platinum/paint covered coins all the time.

Often when someone realizes that the plating actually reduces the value
of the coin, they will just spend it or cash it in. In this case, there were
so many 1976 halves made, even without the plating, the coin was basically
only worth face value.

That's kind of what I said. ;D

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I had a 1973 D. Silver edge. Passed the ring test. Brought it to a coin dealer who checked it out under a microscope and said it was silver and not plated. He suggested that I send it off to some place.
Brought it to another coin dealer who's been in business 30+ years. He gave it the ring test and said it's silver.
Then he weighed it and said it was not silver.
I gave it away to ScoobaSteve who will put it to good use.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The obverse & reverse look like nickel clad but the side profile looks silvery. Someone must've painted the side. Get it weighed and do a comparison.

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Found some similar finds this week. First is silver for reference, second is plated , looks silver / pinkish when held to the light. Third one, I'm not sure but may be gold plated?

Attachments

• silver and not001.jpg
    silver and not001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 376

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I did hear about business struck Bicentennials were made in 40% silver by accident.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions