28.4 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever see someone who owns candy or pop machines restocking them you can try and ask them if you can search their coins or offer to roll the coins and count it all for them for free if you are allowed to search them?

Anyone else?

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
got to thinking...dangerous I know...I could have friends and relatives get coin rolls from their banks...I know I had originally excluded banks but I was thinking about my own bank(s)...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, most any store has rolls of coins! Just a matter of getting them to sell them. I got a BU roll of 2000 P Maryland state quarters from an Advanced Auto for $10.00! Sells on E-bay for $15.00 or so.

Attachments

• 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 265

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I went so far as to looking up vending machines in our yellow pages to see if any of the companies were hiring. If I could get a job loading the machines and taking the change out, I figure I could search it-find the keepers and replace with regular clad. But the main vending company here only sells the machines, doesn't service them.

I also went to the Coinstar website, as I thought about getting a job unloading the coins. Turns out you need some experience calibrating machines and other things.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You might think of car washes. Maybe you can trade out rolls of quarters. Some of the attendants I've seen just dump 'em into the coin changer box w/o really looking as they take out the ones in the vacs and towel dispensers.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live anywhere near highways with toll booths that's another source. I once wrote a letter to the NY City Transit Authority asking them what they did with all the odd coins that end up in their baskets. I got this idea from a man I met years ago who used to work those booths. He said you wouldn't believe what people throw into toll baskets. Never did get a response from them though...

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I don't know how it all works...but in our town we have a bowling alley. Half of it is all arcade stuff...pool, darts, pinball...whatever else.
If you wanted quarters, I wonder, would it be ethical to take lots of twenties and put them in the change machines there, and get a ton of quarters out of there? :)

Nice dimes, btw!! ;D

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Thanks for the ideas...I will try them all...I'm liking the raiding of coin changers at arcade/laundry places...Probably quaters only...Haven't had much luck with them that's why I went to dimes...

benthecoinguy

Jul 9, 2005
Hey Killerwine take a look at your 1956 canadian dime between the numbers 9 and 5 with a magnifying glass. If there is a dot between those two numbers at the bottom of the date you have a 1956 dot variety, which a lot harder to find then a normal 1956. It would make it worth a couple bucks more then a normal one.
HH benthecoinguy

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got skunked on halves today, $100 and nada. Booo!

Hey Killerwine, why are your dimes always pictured sideways like that? I feel like I'm at the video store reading titles :D

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
No dot on the Canadian...Bummer. Never thought about the coins being sideways in my pics...that's just how I line them up on the scanner. I will rotate for easier viewing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread