1982 copper and zinc pennies

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
You could use a Ryedale penny sorter. It sorts zinc from copper. I think it uses a tiny metal detector. But if you don't have one, telling the difference is going to be tricky. Maybe you could see if the color is different, or if it makes a different sound when dropped :dontknow:.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The sound will tell the difference, but you can also study the planchet. Copper 82's will always have a defined rim. The zincolns have a flat rim that blends with with the field. Not 100% foolproof, but fairly accurate in my experience.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Air test with a metal detector? Bounce on the table gives sound. You could place it in sulfuric acid if it is zink you will have only minute wafers that look like a penny but it is just the copper shell.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Drop them and see if they make a ringing sound or not. The ones that ring are coppers. I made my own scale with a tongue depressor and a fulcrum (I used a mechanical pencil eraser holder that I had laying around). Just tape or glue the fulcrum about in the middle of the tongue depressor and put coins on both sides to determine which is heavier.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I had the same question so I looked on the net. Then I got out my reloading scale and weighed them. The copper weighs 49 grains & the zinc 38 very simple to tell the difference. Now if you can tell me how to tell between a large & a small date without having one to compare I will be happy.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I made a scale out of a popsicle stick with a nail glued in the center. Cut the head off the nail. Put a pre 82 penny on one side, and then it is very easy to tell a copper from a zincoln.

Attachments

• scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 484
  • scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 436

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
user244075 said:
Mick56 I like your scale, very simple.
For those of us that do pennys, I found a site that is very helpful. If you have not found it yet go to
lincolncentresourse.com
There is a lot of info on this site.

OP
OP
T

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for the answers
bula: the small dates are small, and the large dates are sort of thicker and more bold. I have found way more large dates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread