Unusual Coin Found

Silver crazy

Aug 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, CZ-7A Pro
Has anyone ever seen a Jefferson nickel that is a cross between a 59 D and a 50D, I found one that has a small zero, is it a 50 D with small zero or 59D without a leg, I never saw one of these before,it has not been altered in any way, if anyone has any info I would appreciate it, in the meantime I will try to get a pic on, it is hard to do without a scanner. Thanks. Dennis.

Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without the picture, I would say it's a 59D with a tiny leg. I found one like that myself yesterday.
It stalled me for a second because I had to use my 10X loupe to examine it closely. Good luck on your hunt of 50D.
I have found 38D and 39D. Two out of five.

OP
OP
S

Silver crazy

Aug 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, CZ-7A Pro
Thanks, Yinzi, I'm trying to get a pic on, it is very hard getting in that close without it blurring out, the coin has no leg on it at all, just a perfectly round circle. Thanks again. Dennis.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite possibly a grease filled die where the leg of the 9 just doesn't show. I have found numerous coins where a full number or parts of lettering to do not show due to this. The 0 in 1950 is always the same size and as far as I know there are not any other varieties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread