Shhhhhhh!!!!!!

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I made the mistake of telling a friend about coin roll hunting a month or two ago.

Very quickly he wanted to get into this as well.

At first I didn't see anything bad in having someone else I knew who did this, but then he started trying to get me to "piggyback" a "partial box" on my regular orders.

The problem with that is he wanted to be able to be there when the box was opened and be allowed to be the first to pick out which rolls to search. My problem with this arrangement as you might imagine is he is always going to go for any roll with silver showing.

When I mentioned the problems of dumps, he didn't offer to help finding any dump banks, and since he doesn't have a bank account anywhere he couldn't use his account to deposit bags of halves either. He simply stated he would "let me" roll the halves back up and I could pay him for the trouble.

I mentioned something about my efforts to find more dump banks and the fact that I had opened several accounts with several banks in the area.

His response was basically that I must be breaking some law to be opening up so many different bank accounts....

Within a few days I basically had to lie to him to get him to give up on this. I told him I was getting out of coin roll hunting.

This is true, but only for the next week or two.

In all honesty I don't wonder why most of the old timers here are so tight lipped about this hobby.

Upvote 0

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
It doesn't sound very much like he's a real friend of yours. Sounds like he was taking advantage of you.

nick.foltz

Dec 24, 2009
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Tesoro Cibola
For sure on that one. This a all for one hobby. Its kinda of hard to share rolls, especially if you went through the effort to order them and dump them off to just have him pick which ones he wants. Is he paying you face value for them, or just giving you ten bucks a roll? Just wondering how that transaction took place.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Hope you learned your lesson- also hope you didn't give him enough inspiration to try this solo. That guy is stupid and it wouldn't take long for him to screw up your system, common sense does not prevail these days. HH Mark

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Now that you introduced him, explain to him the rules. He might be inspired to go solo, and could end up ruining for you by ordering/dumping at the same bank. Also, it's not that the oldtimers discourage newcomers. It is just that most want to temper the new hunter's expectations. You'll never see me post my finds, but rather you'll see my posts congratulating others or advising on the process of hunting. A new guy seeing the spoils looks at it as easy money when in fact, it is hard work dealing with the logistics.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotty1418 said:
It doesn't sound very much like he's a real friend of yours. Sounds like he was taking advantage of you.

+1

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
With friends like him , who needs enemies? Stupid inconsiderate people can mess it up for you in a hurry.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He must not be a good friend to want you to do all the leg work, so he can enjoy the easy success. I could see someone like that harping at you that you owe him, because a roll was short one half-dollar or had a foreign coin worth less then a U.S. coin. The liability would not be worth it.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
I've told as many as 10 or even 12 people, so far only one actually ordered 2 Boxes from his Bank, opened 10 Rolls found nothing sold me the rest which I found nothing in, but he told me it is way too much trouble for him to mess with.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
obediah said:
I've told as many as 10 or even 12 people, so far only one actually ordered 2 Boxes from his Bank, opened 10 Rolls found nothing sold me the rest which I found nothing in, but he told me it is way too much trouble for him to mess with.

Yup, most of my friends know I CRH, but don't want to take the time to mess with it. One of them used to do it, scored pretty big on it 10 years ago plus, and now that there isn't much to be found here he doesn't even try.
His wife is a cashier at Walmart and brings home plenty of silver that customers spend, especially if she works the cigarette counter.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Of everyone that I know, that knows I crh and dirtfish, not one shows the least bit of interest in either of those activities, including my wife. They're all to busy with American Idol, or day to day routines, can't be bothered. ffd

UnoZeus

Dec 28, 2009
Daphne, Alabama
There is just something exciting about searching for silver that you want to share with people. The thing is that most people think I am crazy when I tell them what I am doing.

"You went through how many half dollars this weekend?!"

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
UnoZeus said:
There is just something exciting about searching for silver that you want to share with people. The thing is that most people think I am crazy when I tell them what I am doing.

Only thing am not doing so loudly with friends is my totals for year, figure that could motivate them some. You know if multiply by today's Spot just the total ounces what got in 09 it is nothing to sneeze at.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
There really is no need to lie.

Just tell him the truth. And the truth is that it's every man for themselves in this. The only people you can truly share this hobby with is your immediate family.

You can show him the ropes but your spoils are your spoils.

He needs to get and dump his own coins.

It sounds like your buddy is a bully like he 's trying to steal your lunch money?

Mojo

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best policy is to tell ONLY your immediate family. The only reason I told my family what I do is in case I were to pass away or become really sick so they wouldn't cash in my stash at face value.

-Codes

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
You fought the law and the law won or so it would seem ;D . I try to keep it too myself and have shared with family. My dad (the one who got me into coins a long time ago) just started ordering boxes not too long ago. Guess you know now that loose lips can sink ships.

golden silver

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UnoZeus said:

If you think people you are crazy due to your search for silver wait till you tell them about hoarding copper cents. My wife still thinks I am crazy for what I do to find silver. One day it will pay off.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
The joys of a business partnership. One always gets the short end of the stick and they rarely end amiably.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread