Question about Coinstar, boxes and bags.

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Hi all. I am a newb when it comes to collecting and was wondering if someone could help me out. I have read on the forum about people buying boxes and bags. Can someone post what the prices are for each ??? I know that it is dependent upon the value of the coins but just an example would be great. I have concentrated on roll hunting but I am starting to get enticed to do the box and bag thing due to the success that others are having on the boards. I also have a question about Coinstar. I have seen people post about coins they find from these machines. I always thought that these machines just gave you dollar amounts for the coins that you drop in them. Any help would be appreciated and would enlighten my newbie mind, lol. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
People find amazing things in coin star reject trays. Here's how coinstar works. People bring in some loose change, and the machine counts it, subtracts a 9% fee, and than it prints out a receipt. You give that receipt to a cashire, and they give you money. Sometimes, coinstar doesn't accept some coins like silver dimes, quarters, Ike's, etc. They fall down into the reject slot, where people can grab them.

Bag amounts:
Penny bag-$50
Nickel bag-$200
Dime bag :laughing7: -$500
Quarter bag-$500
Half dollar bag-$1,000
Dollar bag-$2,000 (I'm not sure)

Basically, a bag of coins is just x2 of a box.

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Thanks for the reply cheese. I will have to start looking for machines to hunt in my area. I did find my first off center error last night on a penny out of a roll, which was cool. Not worth much, if anything except face value, but it was still cool. Will look into the box and bag thing. Thanks again for the information.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
walnuthead said:
Thanks for the reply cheese. I will have to start looking for machines to hunt in my area. I did find my first off center error last night on a penny out of a roll, which was cool. Not worth much, if anything except face value, but it was still cool. Will look into the box and bag thing. Thanks again for the information.

You're welcome. Also, be prepared to find lots of junk in coin bags (ie: hair, tokens, guitar pics, etc.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread