searching boxes with a metal detector

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
I don't know if this has been discussed recently. A search didn't pull up anything.
Yesterday I picked up from a bank 26 unopened machine rolls of halves, apparently the remnants of a box. In the same area, I have on 2 other occasions gotten a large number of unopened machine rolls from banks, in one case 39 in an open $500 box. All were skunks.
Do people search boxes with metal detectors and redeposit the unopened rolls that they know to contain no silver? Do any of you do this, and if so, how much time does it save you? How would you do it, just lay them all out on the floor and scan away?
I'm 4 months in on CRHing and appreciate learning the little things about making it a more productive hobby. Thanks.

edited for spelling

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
peanuttom said:
I don't know if this has been discussed recently. A search didn't pull up anthing.
Yesterday I picked up from a bank 26 unopened machine rolls of halves, apparently the remnants of a box. In the same area, I have on 2 other occasions gotten a large number of unopened machine rolls from banks, in one case 39 in an open $500 box. All were skunks.
Do people search boxes with metal detectors and redeposit the unopened rolls that they know to contain no silver? Do any of you do this, and if so, how much time does it save you? How would you do it, just lay them all out on the floor and scan away?
I'm 4 months in on CRHing and appreciate learning the little things about making it a more productive hobby. Thanks.
This is an interesting idea. It has been discussed here before.
This method would work searching boxes, if only the clad coins were made of wood or some other non-metallic material. Then, you could easily scan for silver.
Realistically, it could be done by laying each coin on the floor, spaced at least a foot or two apart. Good metal detectors might be able to seperate the clad from silver. Maybe not.
All in all, very time consuming.

OP
OP
P

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
I guess my question is, if you lay all the rolls out, unopened and separated by foot or so, would a metal detector be able to tell which ones contained silver and which don't?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
peanuttom said:
I guess my question is, if you lay all the rolls out, unopened and separated by foot or so, would a metal detector be able to tell which ones contained silver and which don't?
We can only wish. Oh, and welcome to the forum! ffd

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
I just put the batteries back in the X-505 and checked out your theory. I could not tell the difference between a 40%, 90% or a clad half dollar. so I guess you'll have to keep opening up those rolls.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
peanuttom said:
I don't know if this has been discussed recently. A search didn't pull up anthing.
Had a teller last week tell me when asked for halves that she had $450 worth- I immediately thought it was a dump so just got 20 of the rolls to see, well they were machined bright Yellow Rolls, and found 2 %40's in them, so did not go back to get rest.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
If you don't have a Ryedale, a metal detector will readily ID your Cu 82 pennies.
That's about the closest practical use for the MD in the CRHunt I can think of.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Ok, here's a solution to speed up the process. Get a scale!! You can do the math based on the weight of 90% silvers and clad. A digital scale has always told me which rolls have 90% since they weigh a full gram more than clad halves. 40% silver however are hard to tell in rolls. You could take out all rolls with 90% silvers quickly but 40% ones still remain. However if you do the math, you can figure out a tolerance of roll weights than don't qualify on the roll-worth-opening range, saving you some time. The scale has definitely helped in telling me if a box is good or not early.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone in my area has to be doing this. I have picked up on two occasions, his unopened fed rolls along with the ones he re-rolls in customer rolls. Only thing I can think of is using weight.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
yes it has been discussed before on the MD thing and turned out that it didn't work.i'm not so sure weighing them helps either. it also has been discussed before and it seems most felt it doesn't work as the older more circulated silver is worn down and has lost some of its weight, throwing the total weight off. my opinion stick with the tried and true. 1-edge check, 2- date check, 3- ring test. you won't miss anything.
also if you are finding partial boxes its probably because the bank had a full box on hand and sold some single rolls out of it. i have found many partials and have found both skunks and some with silver. the rule is buy everything they have even if you suspect a dump. all you loose is time.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
yes it has been discussed before on the MD thing and turned out that it didn't work.i'm not so sure weighing them helps either. it also has been discussed before and it seems most felt it doesn't work as the older more circulated silver is worn down and has lost some of its weight, throwing the total weight off. my opinion stick with the tried and true. 1-edge check, 2- date check, 3- ring test. you won't miss anything.
also if you are finding partial boxes its probably because the bank had a full box on hand and sold some single rolls out of it. i have found many partials and have found both skunks and some with silver. the rule is buy everything they have even if you suspect a dump. all you loose is time.

True on the customer rolled in boxes, but the thing that perplexed me was that this is my main supply bank and I always take all their halves every week. The teller told me a guy came a dropped the two boxes (they were Loomis) off like they were, with customer wrapped rolls and fed type rolls. Either he didnt want to search them and gave up or had some method of searching without opening. I think it was the second option and am curious to how he is able to do this.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
Had a teller last week tell me when asked for halves that she had $450 worth- I immediately thought it was a dump so just got 20 of the rolls to see, well they were machined bright Yellow Rolls, and found 2 %40's in them, so did not go back to get rest.
Not to get off topic here but i'd be happy to get 2 40%'s in 50 rolls.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i remember someone on here who said he could unwrap and rewrap machine rolls and you'd never be able to tell.....perhaps thats what happened here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread