ID Guide for Boxes and Rolls

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
This is something I'll need help with, especially from the moderators, not only to build but to present in a meaningful manner while giving the proper credit.

First, is Brinks:
These are Halves Only - it's all I do...

Brinks have a standard brown box that is taped on the flap - BE SURE to open and inspect the box before you leave - I have seen a missing roll. The box uses a standard brown sealing tape (not fiber reinforced, and never over another piece of tape). These are 2 rows high, 5 deep and 5 wide.

Attachments

• BrinksBox.JPG
    BrinksBox.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 634
  • BrinksBox2.JPG
    BrinksBox2.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 614
  • BrinksBox3.JPG
    BrinksBox3.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
This is Loomis:
These are Halves and one shot of quarters...

Loomis has a standard brown box that is glued on the flap - BE SURE to inspect the box through the sight holes before you leave or open the box. These are 1 row high, 5 deep and 10 wide.

Halves: Brown box, yellow stripe and printing. White and yellow labels.
Quarters: Brown box, orange stripe and printing.

Attachments

• LoomisBox.JPG
    LoomisBox.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 628
  • LoomisBox2.JPG
    LoomisBox2.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 637
  • LoomisBox3.JPG
    LoomisBox3.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 621
  • LoomisBox4.JPG
    LoomisBox4.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 626

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Nice effort but...

Those are examples of your locality and what you get at your branches.

Brinks may come in many more styles than shown and other services have similar schemes to Brinks (Garda, etc..).
The Loomis boxes you show are mainly from CWI (Coin Wrap Inc.), widely used by Loomis but also by others such as Rochester, Dunbar, etc...

The themes are mostly local depending on which carriers and contract wrappers are in a given area.

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Agreed, and it would be great if others could post their findings here for comparison, in a similar format.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post pics of my boxes when I start getting boxes again. So far the supplier is only sending bags.

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
I WISH I could find a supplier doing bags. The biggest thing that irkes me with this hobby is oppening the rolls. I enjoy searching the coins, and I am ok with making dumps, but I hate the paper rolls...

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, bags are nice. Dont spend wasted time opening the rolls. Just grab a hand full and get to sorting.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some small banks in a remote area will roll their own halves. They will buy rolling paper from this WI company and make rolls in a few minutes. Here are some rolls that a small bank teller kindly rolled for me on site. Some nicest teller only if she knew that I would tear them open once I left the bank.

P9181551.JPG

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never bought a bag yet. I like the rolls, I can deposit them in my bank account. I used my work as a dump place at Christmas, i put the word out that I had rolls of halves, I sold 100 bucks worth at face value, lol. The halves were at hit at Christmas in my family. I give cash to the kids and some adult family members, I gave halves and Two Dollar Bills, everyone was quite excited. They had questions like, do they still make halves and Two Dollar bills.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Fredness said:
Agreed, and it would be great if others could post their findings here for comparison, in a similar format.

Your Brinks and Loomis boxes are identical to what I get here in S.E. Michigan (Detroit)

Except We don't get hand rolls in Brinks boxes.

Mojo

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
I never get hand rolls in boxes either, those were the 4 rolss I had searched already (with the 4 silver coins found on the lid).
Good to know this may not be a "regional" issue!

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
I only get brinks hera and the rolls are the brown/white. the box is the double layered 5x5 but is printed in yellow with "Dist. by Dub Harris Inc. on the bottom.

WrapNRoll

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2007
Does anyone know which banks use which armored car companies? At least out here on the West Coast?

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
WrapNRoll said:
Does anyone know which banks use which armored car companies? At least out here on the West Coast?

It's not cut and dry. Around here I'm able to determine who they use by the type of boxes they get. but I think on a branch by branch basis it could be the closest or which ever fits in their schedule better.

I've seen Loomis, Brinks & Dunbar in our area. We also have Total Armor (which basically is a subcontracting delivery service for Loomis) and All 4 of them are within a couple miles of each other in the heart of Detroit and near the Detroit branch of the Chicago Federal reserve.

Mojo

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
So where's the best place to buy boxes from and what's the smallest dollar amount you can spend? Are there 50 dollar boxes? I'm in the military and the sole provider so convincing the wife to let me buy a 500 dollar box of coins so I can sort through them would be very difficult even if I only would end up keeping a very small percentage of them.

What about rolls? I asked at the bank today and the lady said they didn't have any halves or anything. She did sell me a 25$ roll of the new $1 dollar coins that I haven't opened yet.

Any tips or advice that you kind folks are willing to share would be welcome.

HH,

Bryan

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've only get the loomis boxes mainly with the yellow wrappers. Once in a great while the wrappers will be black & white, brown & white, and gold & white. The boxes are delivered by all the big name courier services
here in CT.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread