Finally broke 57 boxes of stinky polecat...

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
That's right, box 58 contained a single 1967 half, other 57 boxes all skunks. This is 3 months of hunting to get through that many boxes, and one half to show for it...

I have done really well with pennies, and OK with nickels and dimes, but still, I am getting a little discouraged at halves.

I know the dump bank that I use, the biggest one around here with coin machines, used Dunbar. I have a different bank that I use for source, but they also use Dunbar. I do have access to a third bank that I could use for source, and I know they use Brinks, as I have bought pennies there already. I think I will try using them for halves and see what happens, I just think that all of the halves being dumped at the one bank is ending up in my boxes...

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
it takes determination to continue after a roll like that. that is why i think alot of the johnny come lately's get flustered and move on to something else. this hobby is really almost like a job. the boxes are heavy, you have to pick them up, search them, then dump them. the work is hard but the rewards with one good score is worth it (at least to me it is). i guess if it were easy everybody would be doing it

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
it takes determination to continue after a roll like that. that is why i think alot of the johnny come lately's get flustered and move on to something else. this hobby is really almost like a job. the boxes are heavy, you have to pick them up, search them, then dump them. the work is hard but the rewards with one good score is worth it (at least to me it is). i guess if it were easy everybody would be doing it
Couldn't have put it better myself. A true CRHer will get an occasional skunk streak but 57 is a lot for even a hardcore hunter. Hope things turn around for you SM.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a hobby, that's an obsession. No way in the world would I go thru 57 straight skunks. I move on to something else. That is work. Unsatisfying work. Halves stink!@!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Every single box I have ever gotten from Dunbar was a skunk box. Anyone ever have good results from them?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have had some good dunbar boxes, infact they look alot like loomis boxes. my best boxes come from gardia.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
i have had some good dunbar boxes, infact they look alot like loomis boxes. my best boxes come from gardia.
What's the difference in appearance in Loomis, Garda, and Dunbar boxes. I've seen the Garda truck leaving one of my banks, yellow wrappers. What about the other 2?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can handle up to 20 skunk boxes. If more than that, I will do something else.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I think the Dunbar boxes have run there course for awhile. Almost all of the coincounter coins end up in Dunbar boxes around here, so something will show up eventually. I search 8 Dunbar boxes a week. Mine have been hit or miss lately with 2 boxes containing 10 each and the rest 1 or 2 or skunk. As a matter of fact Garda and Loomis have been slow as well. I don't even bother with Brinks anymore. I'm hoping all the Christmas dumps will start showing up in boxes the next couple weeks. Good luck.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Don't dump at a bank that uses the same distributor as your source bank. Won't take long to get your same coin. You might get lucky but your odds go down quite a bit. :read2:

Maine_Jim

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Every single box I have ever gotten from Dunbar was a skunk box. Anyone ever have good results from them?

I have gotten good results with them. When I can find them. They have come in two different types of boxes though. The double stacked one were the good ones. The flat boxes all stink.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
don't feel bad. someone on here.....i can't remember who it was but he was well over like 80 boxes. he kept doing it for spite. he was going to try and hit 100 straight skunks. it may have been Shake-n-Bake who suddenly disappeard.
it could very well be that you are in an area with many CRHers and several monster hunters. if thats the case your beating your head against the wall and your only hope is to look for handrolls and loosies. these always have a better silver to clad ratio than boxes anyway. the only thing is they are harder to find. you can also see if any of your banks have lobby coin counters and see if they'll sell you bags off it. this would insure that any newly dumped silver would be intercepted before it goes back to the carrier and gets mixed in with everything else to be reboxed.... that is unless there is a silver hunting teller there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread