First bag of the New Year

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up my first bag of the new year yesterday. This one came the way the good ones did last year. In canvas with handwritten tag $1000. I think this one had been waiting on me for a week since I have been on vacation. Glad someone else didn't swipe it. I missed my order this week since they do their coins orders on Tuesday morning. I was hoping that the time off would get the carrier to dig out these old bags again. It certainly worked. Was busy last night but did get to crack it open and there was silver in there. I sorted about half of it and picked what I could see. I will finish it up tonight but so far I have found:

47 - 40's
17 - Ken 90's
5 - Franks
2 - Walkers

Here is a pic for your viewing pleasure. Thanks for looking.

Update:

Finished the bag last night. Only got 5 more 40's but also got my first ever bicentennial S mint half. It was in AU shape.

Since I had a little time left in the evening I cracked open $50 in dimes I had picked up. Found 2 silver rosies. Also did $24 in nickels and found a full date 1936 Buffalo.

So far off to a good start in 2010.

Attachments

• First of 2010.jpg
    First of 2010.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update added.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ag , Very nice start to the new year , I'd be really happy with those odds on a bag .
Did you find the coin on your avatar pic. in a roll or metal detecting ? Argentium.

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
Hey Ag , Very nice start to the new year , I'd be really happy with those odds on a bag .
Did you find the coin on your avatar pic. in a roll or metal detecting ? Argentium.

I bought it. I want to start a type set and its my first purchase. 1828 12 star variety half cent.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd been wondering about the avatar as well. Nice finds in that bag, and that's a nice photo.

Was the '76 S half that you found clad or silver? So far, my wife and I have only found one of each, although they're both in AU condition as well.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kantuckkeean said:
I'd been wondering about the avatar as well. Nice finds in that bag, and that's a nice photo.

Was the '76 S half that you found clad or silver? So far, my wife and I have only found one of each, although they're both in AU condition as well.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Its definately silver. It has a S MM. I was of the understanding that all bicentennial silvers were 40% clad silver.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that my question wasn't clear. I just wanted to know if the bicentennial that you found was a silver version or the non-silver proof. There were 3 versions of the half dollar that came from the San Fran. mint in 1976.

Copper-nickel clad proofs (mintage 7,059,099)
40% Silver clad proofs (mintage 4,000,000)
40% Silver clad (11,000,000)

Yeoman's Redbook says that, "Mintage figures for 1976-S silver coins are approximate; many were melted in 1982."

My wife and I have a Copper-nickel clad proof and a silver clad non-proof.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea this one is a non proof, silver clad S MM. I have found the proof CU-NI a few months back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions