Proof 70 half found at a Bank

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday went to look for halves on my way back home. Stopped at a Bank and asked for halves.

The teller told me they had about $15 worth and he was a little upset because a teenage
cashed a coin that was still in a package and the teller was in a hurry to close his box and had to waist time trying to open the package to put the half with the others. I told him I would take all the halves including this one. I never imagine that finding one only silver half could result in the finding of the year.

It is a 2009 S Silver Kennedy Half Dollar NGC PR70 Ultra Cam.

I wanted to take the coin and just leave the bank but my curiosity was bigger and I asked the teller how he got the coin. I try to stay calm and told the teller, " O yes, I have many of these. The package is a marketing package". I think this was the dumbest thing I have ever said but well I was not thinking right.

The teller told me that there are several kids sons of a big customer that are kind of beneficiaries
of a living trust and once a month they go to the bank to withdraw money for college expenses.
They have to provide receipts to the trust department of that bank and the trust department signs the ticket and they go to the teller line to cash it. Well this time one of the kids had this coin and just wanted to cash it. The teller said, " Thanks for taking the half's".

After all this I took the halves and started walking to the exit. The distance look eternal. I was thinking that an ugly big manager was going to come after me saying, " Sr. Please stop there".

Went to my car and it is when I found out it was a perfect coin.

Darth Walker

Attachments

• pr70.JPG
    pr70.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pick up.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Great find!

That teller would have had a tough time getting the coin out of the slab if he didn't know what he was doing. Those things are built pretty tough. I have broken a coin or two out of them and it does take a minute if you are being careful to not damage the coin.

Jim

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man what a score, I just looked on ebay at completed listing for a graded PF 70 and they sold anywhere from $48 all the way up to $138...........GREAT score!

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is still in the case. The teller was going to try to take it out but didn't.

With this I am feeling to start collection of Kenn halfs Silver Proofs 70.

Of course, just one rule. Every coin purchased has to be with CRH profits.

DW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions