Should I save all S mint coins?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
s or san francisco mint --makes the proof coin sets --normally their standards are better and often rarer --since a of "production " goes into proof sets -- philly and denver make most of the everday change

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
This question is specific to the coins you save. You should get a redbook to find out which ones were released for circulation. If you are talking cents "I" would keep all S-mints not regarding wheats that are copper, memorial cents 1968S-1974S were released for circulation but maintain their copper content. All others fall into the proof category. As for nickels, 1968S-1970S were released for circulation and really aren't worth hanging on to. As for dimes and quarters, if they have a S mintmark then they probably were proof at one time and "I" would hang on to them. Same goes for Halves, just be sure you know which dates are silver before you throw an impaired proof back into the wild. Hope this helps and isn't confusing. HH, SE :thumbsup:

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For kenn halves they are very appeling to the eye but not worth anything more than 50 cents.

There is not a market for them. I send them back into the wild unless they are silver.

DW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread