Where do you put yer BOOTY?

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
When I was still a kid, I remember a story that went through the local paper for over a year.

Seems an old man had recently died and left his estate to several heirs.

It was known that he hadn't trusted banks and many thought he had buried his money on his property somewhere. At that point it was just a rumor and no one really knew anything for sure.

Well the heirs decided to auction the farm and on the last day before the auction, one of them came by with a metal detector and within minutes found a Bell jar with gold coins in it. Within hours all the heirs were there fighting over the coins, calling the police, etc.

The auction was called off and a large high fence was put up and for literally several decades the farm just sat there. All the heirs had each other under court order that prevented them being on the farm unless they were all there.

I have driven by the farm maybe 3 times in the past 25 years and the last time it was still there, the house has fallen in on itself, large trees are everywhere now, and its easy to imagine that no humans have set foot on that property in all this time.

Anyway it was a funny topic of conversation for several years.

I remember my grandmother and how she was always careful to not let people know where she kept her silver coins. I distinctly remember her slapping my aunt when she held me (at age 6) by the arms and demanded to know where the coins were.

In retrospect it is kind of funny that out of all the people in the world, she trusted a 6 year old kid with the location of her coin collection, but not any of her children, including my own mother.

Ive heard stories most of my life about banks and how they cheated people around here during the 1930s. That way of thinking is very heavily ingrained in the mindset of almost everyone here over the age of 35.

I remember when I was 18 I opened a bank account and my Dad cried for hours about it and tried to get me to close the account for years.

Maybe it is that is the kind of upbringing in me, but I really have a fear of putting my silver coins in a safe deposit box.

With that said, and in consideration of some recent posts by Golden Silver, I'm wondering about how and where to keep my coins.

How would you keep your coins safe, from thieves, and from government thieves?

What I mean is, they already tactfully threatened Golden Silver with confiscation of his silver coins, and truthfully if he still has them in his house, he is a complete moron.

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Obediah, I am afraid of the fact that they might be. I don't feel like my stash is safe now and according to that law it would appear they could confiscate my property if they so desired.

golden silver

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a brief story too. I was raised in Dallas--a city girl--but my grandparents were poor farmers in East Texas. They picked cotton, grew their own vegetables and owned dairy cows. In those days, a banker and a customer only needed a handshake to do business. Well, I am a historian--went to college--I am the first to have a degree in my family. My uncle put his money in a local, uninsured bank. He was not rich by any means, but had several thousand dollars he had saved for over 20 years (thank goodness for FDR and the FDIC). Well, the bank folded, the banker killed himself, and my uncle has never been same since. He has horded money, does not trust banks, cannot understand the concept of FDIC, and well, no telling what he has hidden under the bed--along with his shot gun.
apush :read2:

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
apush said:
I have a brief story too. I was raised in Dallas--a city girl--but my grandparents were poor farmers in East Texas. They picked cotton, grew their own vegetables and owned dairy cows. In those days, a banker and a customer only needed a handshake to do business. Well, I am a historian--went to college--I am the first to have a degree in my family. My uncle put his money in a local, uninsured bank. He was not rich by any means, but had several thousand dollars he had saved for over 20 years (thank goodness for FDR and the FDIC). Well, the bank folded, the banker killed himself, and my uncle has never been same since. He has horded money, does not trust banks, cannot understand the concept of FDIC, and well, no telling what he has hidden under the bed--along with his shot gun.
apush :read2:

It's funny what time forgets isn't it? My great-great grandmother had $100,000 in the bank leading up to the depression. The run on the banks started. She was only offered 1 cent on the dollar when she went to withdrawl......,,,, My great-great grandfather on the other side of the family didn't believe in banks. People laughed and called him paranoid. He kept all his money hidden. Bank runs came and he still had his money. People all around him were going broke. So he bought them out. He acquired several thousand acres this way. The majority of America is in for a wake up call.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
AGCoinHunter said:
nyiangelo said:
Fistfulladirt said:
What bothers me about home safes, is that if two people can move one in, two people can carry it out, too.
I finally took a safety deposit box at the bank, I just can't have that much PM's lying around the house. It is not insured there, and my homeowners insurance needs to have everything itemized and appraised as a collection, as they will not insure bullion. ffd

That depends on what kind of safe you buy. If you having something worth keeping it's worth the investment. I installed one in my house that took 3 people to move it in,through 3 doorways. The safe is about 1,200 lbs. Two people or three or four are not moving it. There only hope is to spend about 5+ hours trying to pry it open. Which probably wouldn't happen anyways.

On a side note someone tried to break into my house a couple nights ago. He was high on drugs trying to come in the back door. He was met with a gun in his face, a pitbull protecting her new puppies, and the cops on the other end of the phone. Feel free keeping stuff in your house. Just make sure you have a layered line of defense.

I will agree, a dog is one of the best deterants you can have. Not a quiet dog, a loud barking dog and the bigger the better. I have a 90lb rottie mix who will stare down any crackhead that tries to get in my house. Right behind that is a .38.
Um, if I had to worry about crackheads and the like in my neighborhood, I would relocate in a heartbeat, wtf?

I can guarantee you there are crackheads in your neighborhood. They are everywhere even in the nicest places. Where I live now, there isnt much crime, but that doesnt stop me from being prepared. Drop your guard once and someone will take advantage of you and take all you have. Drug addicted people will go to any means for their next fix, including kicking in your door.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
safest county in the world to live in paduka county kentucky people walk the streets with side arms and long guns old men play checkers with shotguns leaning on thier chairs and every one has a gun by dads chair law been on the book probably since and before the civil war all men must have a side arm tat easy acess at all times

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
olepossum said:
safest county in the world to live in paduka county kentucky people walk the streets with side arms and long guns old men play checkers with shotguns leaning on thier chairs and every one has a gun by dads chair law been on the book probably since and before the civil war all men must have a side arm tat easy acess at all times
Good luck with that. 'Round here, if you shoot your neighbors dog protecting your own kind, you will go to jail!

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Placerman is right on about the cops. here in Philly a little while back, a mom and pop store that was being investigated because they sold little glassine packets that the drug dealers use was raided. the video footage showed the detectives removing the owners. then they came in and proceeded to smash all the security cameras in the store. they didn't know that even by stealing the tape that the owner had the footage backed up by home computer. when the owners returned they found they had been robbed of thousands of dollars in cash, cigarettes, and other valuables. it has since been found that this same detective and his partners had done this before. it also came out that he molested some women in the course of busts and interrogations. he and his buddies are awaiting trial.
then there's the story of another detective who used a confidential informant to buy drugs, then the detectives would get a warrant and arrest the owners and confiscate all drugs, cash and weapons.
turns out the CO dimed the detective out. whenever he was unable to buy any drugs at a suspected dealers house, the detective produced a bag of drugs and got the CO to say they were purchased at the suspected dealers house and an arrest and search warrant were issued. in one case they found a small amount of marijuana and the person was put in jail. when all cases were reviewed, it came to light that this highly accredited detective (due to his large amounts of drug busts) was actually setting people up so he could look good. he too is awaiting trial. many of the people he had busted have since been released.
just remember "absolute power corrupts.........absolutely"

BTW....all those drugs that are confiscated....do you know that some of them wind up back on the street when they are used to give credibility to thier CO's?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions