Coin Machines and Big Brother

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I went to dump my halves today. Don't you know, as soon as I think to myself "I haven't had a machine jam in a couple of months," the damn thing starts making strange noises and and thumping loud enough that everyone in the bank is watching me.
After the teller examines, fixes and resets the machine, it will not restart. After checking again, he says the machine is hanging up trying to connect online.
Does a anyone have any idea why a coin counter needs to go on line? The banker didn't know and I ure am curious.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard coinstar machines are hooked up to a phone line to notify them when it is full. Is it a coinstar machine? Could be another type that does the same thing...

OP
OP
davew0710

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
AGCoinHunter said:
I have heard coinstar machines are hooked up to a phone line to notify them when it is full. Is it a coinstar machine? Could be another type that does the same thing...

Not a coinstar, the machine is a Cummings and is in a bank lobby.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If that's the one with the big hopper underneath, it does call when near full even though the banks change out the tubs. I've had them call after I dump. The machine makes a electronic ringing noise. I don't know about you, but the banks where I dump don't even know my name and don't even ask if I have an account. They just ask if I want large bills! :D

OP
OP
davew0710

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
joad said:
If that's the one with the big hopper underneath, it does call when near full even though the banks change out the tubs. I've had them call after I dump. The machine makes a electronic ringing noise. I don't know about you, but the banks where I dump don't even know my name and don't even ask if I have an account. They just ask if I want large bills! :D

You using my dump bank??? :laughing9:
That is interesting to find out that they call when full. Automated pick up, that's cool. My bank uses the big machines with those big bins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions