CRH fail =(

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
So I'm pretty new to the TN forums in general. I'm a gold prospector, metal dectorists, yard sale nut, and whatever else can involve finding "treasure". So I came across this section of the forum and thought trying a few rolls of coins would be fun. problem is I can't figure out where you all get these boxes. I've asked at three different banks and they all just look at me with a blank face. I even had one teller say it wasn't possible without reserving them and notifying the Federal Reserve?

I'm just an amatuer at pretty much everything in these forums besides prospecting. It would appear that doing CRH is beyond my means and experience at this point in time. I guess I should just stick to looking at any change I get handed when shopping.

The Griffyn

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
The_Griffyn said:
So I'm pretty new to the TN forums in general. I'm a gold prospector, metal dectorists, yard sale nut, and whatever else can involve finding "treasure". So I came across this section of the forum and thought trying a few rolls of coins would be fun. problem is I can't figure out where you all get these boxes. I've asked at three different banks and they all just look at me with a blank face. I even had one teller say it wasn't possible without reserving them and notifying the Federal Reserve?

I'm just an amatuer at pretty much everything in these forums besides prospecting. It would appear that doing CRH is beyond my means and experience at this point in time. I guess I should just stick to looking at any change I get handed when shopping.

The Griffyn

Me thinks they playing you; you must be uncertain in your approach or have some sort of flaw in way you ask them. I just go in and ask them to order (you know tell them you need X number of Boxes), me 4 or 6 Boxes of Halves and ask when they will be in -acting like am pressed for time.

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Ask them who they order their other coin from and ask them to place an order through them. If they don't have them, they will order them from the Fed.

OP
OP
T

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Ahhh.. maybe I was getting lazy tellers cause the blank looks on their faces was priceless. I almost chuckled but I felt as clueless as they looked so I didn't.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it another try.

Griffyn

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I even had one teller say it wasn't possible without reserving them and notifying the Federal Reserve?
she lied.
keep trying, be polite, if they say no, move on to the next. sometimes its easier to get them to order for you if your an account holder. if not you can still walk in any bank and ask for what they have on hand. most banks you don't need to have an account because the tellers are only too glad to get rid of those coins they have to count over and over every night.

OP
OP
T

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Being that I can't afford to buy boxes alone, I have a partner. It was his bank that told us they would have to call the Federal Reserve and ask. He just sent me a text that said...

"Bank called. The called the Fed Reserve and they said no on the coins."

????

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm, I highly doubt they called the Fed. The fed doesnt deal in coins. They are bullshooting you. What they need to do is call their coin carrier. Brinks, Guarda, Loomis, ect and they order from them. What bank is this and what city?

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with what the rest said. It's gotta be BS as soooo many businesses place change orders. Asking about their supplier may not help either, due to "security issues" and more BS. I'd ask to speak to the vault teller or head teller and ask him or her to place an order with their supplier for 2 boxes of halves.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
T

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
I called B.S too. So I went to a shopping center near an old folks community that has 4 banks within 200 feet of each other. I told each of them that I was a coin collector and was looking for halves and large dollar coins. Here's what I got told.

My bank = No problem Sir. Minimum order is 2 boxes. (I didn't ask them about dumping there.)

Wells Fargo = Open an account with us and we can order you as few as 1 box at a time. You can even dump here for free. We will supply large bags for you. Just put what you don't keep back in the bag and bring it back.

Wachovia = Very friendly but didn't know anything about ordering coins.

CalNational = Also friendly but didn't really know much about getting coins. Said I was free to come in and ask though as often as I liked. Even offered me the two halves she had in the drawer. (I didnt take them because she showed them too me first =))

Of all of them my bank and WF seemed the best bet. WF was very eager for me to open an account with them. The girl didn't want to let me leave. But I did. TOld her I would check back after I spoke to my partner.

-The Griffyn

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? I'd say stop looking at me like an Idiot :tongue3: and get me my coins... :angry5:

Just kidding !! :laughing9: :laughing7:

I would do what Kantuckkeean said. Step it up a lvl ask nicely to talk to the head teller/Manager or vault teller. :icon_thumleft: They really should train the tellers for this but they don't. :icon_scratch: The Vault teller handles most the coinage. :read2: So the tellers are generally clueless unless they have been working at a bank a long time. :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread