Asking for Hand Rolled Coins?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Customer rolled, handrolled, or machine rolled. With a box of machine rolled dimes, one can average 1-2 rosies. However, you have to search through $250 worth. So if you only have $50 to buy rolls of dimes, then your likelihood of finding silver out of machine rolls is slim. Searching customer rolled/handrolled dimes, you have a better chance of stumbling upon the dream roll (many silver to near solid roll). I've never heard of anyone scoring a solid roll of silver dimes by searching machine rolls (at least not in the past 30 years).

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I forgot to mention that there is a greater chance of being shorted also with customer rolled coinage. Short rolls do exist with machine rolls, but they are few and far between whereas customers will short change the roll either due to human error in counting or fraudulent means.

I recently picked up handrolled halves that were short 1 half in the majority of rolls. Now, either the person was horrible at counting or they were keeping $.50 for each roll for their "fee".

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diver_Down. I always appreciate your responses. I am a newby--I know its obvious. But your wisdom has been a great help.
apush :notworthy:

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Diver_Down said:
I recently picked up handrolled halves that were short 1 half in the majority of rolls. Now, either the person was horrible at counting or they were keeping $.50 for each roll for their "fee".

That would be the teller pulling the silver! ;D

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you cant find CWR and have to do machine, try to find Brinks with the clear wrappers. Dime dates are too small for my liking so I just rim search the clear wrappers. Then break them out and dump them in my bag going to the coin sorter. Only thing is you lose out on proofs and other stuff but I am mainly doing dimes for silver. I did "accidently" find a 2000 S clad proof last night while I was dumping my rim searched dimes. Had a nice frosty head of Roo on it.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
mistergee said:
Does anyone ask tellers for handrolled coins?
every time....every bank.

Me too, and have actually found in one Roll of halves 3 SBA's so made 1.50 on that one. Though probably 4 or 5 times in Bank ordered Boxes have found Quarters in them too.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I searched $22,000 in dimes last year, my finds in hand rolls averaged the same as boxes, 1 silver per $150 searched. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread