Im new...Need some help

jimmyx

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2010
I'm new...Need some help

Hi everyone.

I just learned about this hobby and decided to give it a try. I have some questions about dumping. Is it acceptable to bag up the loose coins and just deposit them in the night deposit? I don't want to be hauling in 4k halves and have to have them change the bag in the counting machine every $100 or even $500. I could see why banks would get sick of CRHers doing that.

I have accounts at 2 local banks. My main bank where I am considered a 'high value customer' ordered me 4 boxes of halves without a problem. They said they would have to order them and it would take a week or more to come in. They seemed to be clueless about CRHers and didn't ask any questions about returning the coins.

The second bank seemed to know what was going on when I asked for 2 boxes of halves and told me they would order them for me but I could not return them to that bank. If I returned them to that bank, they would charge me 10% handling fee. Is that normal? Should I look for another bank?

Thanks for any info and good luck everyone.

jimmy

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm new...Need some help

Welcome aboard Jimmy. Read till your eyes bleed! You order that much coin and take it back to the bank you ordered from and they won't be ordering for you very long. Never take them back where you got them. Banks and tellers don't like that. As for the night deposit box, I don't think they would like that either. If you read enough on this forum you will learn everything you need to know.
HH
Gilbert

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm new...Need some help

Hi Jimmy , Yeah , the dumping part of this tends to be the "fly in the ointment " so to speak.
You are likely about to be deluged with folks telling you not to return your reject halves to the
same banks you pick them up from - not only is this true - but I will go one further, and say
don't even bring them to different branches of the same bank in the area . Open a boatload,
of free checking accounts with banks in your area ,especially any that happen to have coin
counting machines - publically accessable , so you don't have to hassle a teller in dumping
them. Happy hunting ! Argentium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread