apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every now and then, I run into a coin that has the "S" mint mark. According to the "Coin Rolling Guide for Beginners," the advice given is to look for any "S "mint mark on any coin. I found two nickles in a roll with the mark. Should I just set them aside and hold on to them? They are modern clad, 1969 & 1970.
apush

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Although S mint marks mean something for many coins, it is not true for all coins.

The S mint mark on nickels for some yers is very common. YOU have found that out. Same with some pennies (Early 70's +/-).

NO need to save those.

But S mint marks on quarters and halves are keepers. And S mint marks on some nicels and pennies are too.

The best way to determine is to see the mintage number. IF it is high, almost like the D marks, it is not worth keeping. If it is very low, then it is worth keeping.

And if hte coin is proof, meaning having a mirror like finish in the background and a frosted look on the profile, that is always worth keeping. I hope that helps.

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
I agree with jrf, on quarters and halves keep them for sure. On others, look them up on your red book.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muchas Gracias!
apush :read2:

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:
Every now and then, I run into a coin that has the "S" mint mark. According to the "Coin Rolling Guide for Beginners," the advice given is to look for any "S "mint mark on any coin. I found two nickles in a roll with the mark. Should I just set them aside and hold on to them? They are modern clad, 1969 & 1970.
apush
["There is nothing to fear but fear itself," FDR, 1933]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread