S Mint Mark
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2009
    U.S.A.
    ACE 250; Lone Star
    207 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

S Mint Mark

Every now and then, I run into a coin that has the "S" mint mark. According to the "Coin Rolling Guide for Beginners," the advice given is to look for any "S "mint mark on any coin. I found two nickles in a roll with the mark. Should I just set them aside and hold on to them? They are modern clad, 1969 & 1970.
    apush

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    212 times

Re: S Mint Mark

Although S mint marks mean something for many coins, it is not true for all coins.

The S mint mark on nickels for some yers is very common. YOU have found that out. Same with some pennies (Early 70's +/-).

NO need to save those.

But S mint marks on quarters and halves are keepers. And S mint marks on some nicels and pennies are too.

The best way to determine is to see the mintage number. IF it is high, almost like the D marks, it is not worth keeping. If it is very low, then it is worth keeping.

And if hte coin is proof, meaning having a mirror like finish in the background and a frosted look on the profile, that is always worth keeping. I hope that helps.

us
    Dec 2009

I agree with jrf, on quarters and halves keep them for sure. On others, look them up on your red book.
    2010 CRHing:
    Nickels:
    Pre 60 - 15
    War Nickels - 1
    Buffalo - 0
    Pennies:
    Wheaties - 65

us
    Dec 2009
    U.S.A.
    ACE 250; Lone Star
    207 times

Muchas Gracias!
    apush

us
    Dec 2009
    U.S.A.
    ACE 250; Lone Star
    207 times

[quote=apush ]
    Every now and then, I run into a coin that has the "S" mint mark. According to the "Coin Rolling Guide for Beginners," the advice given is to look for any "S "mint mark on any coin. I found two nickles in a roll with the mark. Should I just set them aside and hold on to them? They are modern clad, 1969 & 1970.
    apush
    ["There is nothing to fear but fear itself," FDR, 1933]

Sponsored Links