Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Rant:
I have viewed a few posts whereas folks "mark" coins. I am assuming that individuals practice this as a means to forgo repeating viewing the same coin twice (or thrice). In otherwords, a physical mark has been permanently etched on the coin. That's how I have interpreted the marking of coins. If I am
incorrect, please stop reading and just go to the next post--and I will beg ignorance.

As a historian, and please do correct me if I am wrong, I find this practice inappropriate. Why? Well, coins are history. To me, and again I may be in the minority--which, well, I often am, it seems that we are destroying not only a piece of art, but part of our cultural history. Each coin has been carried in hundreds and thousands of pockets in and out of our great nation and around the world and back again. To alter or mame our currency--I just can't understand it and I will not do it. Lastly, and yes, I am new but I feel like I have the right to blow off steam just like any other person living in a democracy, can't they read the date, mint mark, etc.--then just throw it in the pile to the dump bank? I am shaking my head. ??? It must be obvious to anyone who read this post that I am out of the loop and I just don't get it.
apush

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mark coins but don't have a problem with those that do. With tens of millions to billions being minted I believe plenty will survive in collections for future collectors and historians.

Consider this. 150 years ago someone makes a love token from a Seated Dime or counterstamps a coin. Today many historians, collectors and treasure hunters view these as not only highly collectable but as a better find than an unaltered coin of the same type.

Perhaps in the future there will be collectors of these marked coins of today. ;D Yeah, thats a stretch huh? :laughing7:

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love or "courting coins" is one thing. To deface a coin to me--personally--is another subject. Courting coins are suppose to be a personal moment in an individuals life that historians love--; we today hunt coins for monetary value--well, some of us. Folks that alter coins in the past--the courting coins--often did so because they could not afford rings, or other expensive tokens of sentiment.

I must respectfully disagree. Again, I pose the question: Why not just throw it in the dump pile? From my understanding--and I humbly beg my ignorance as I am a newby--why not just toss it to the dump bank rather than marking a coin. Nope, gonna stick with this one. Can't mame a coin named after FDR--never could, never will. :laughing7: But, gotta love this country. No where in the world could we ever agree to disagree. Love that thing called "democracy." As I said, I know I am the minority here--but what the heck! I am a woman who will never back down when it comes to preserving our history.
apush :headbang:

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Well CRH is like a business to some people. They hope to understand the system and see how long it will take them to get there dumps back by watching for that marked coin. Personally I don't believe marking tells you anything about the system.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apush , I share your sentiment about marking coins - the only difference of opinion you and i
might have is concerning the nature of the "damage" . The vast majority of marked coins I
encounter are done with a felt tipped marker , on kennedy half dollars . Almost always the
mark is in the ear of the former presidents portrayal (I call them earmarked ). I am more
dismayed by the quantity of these earmarked coins that sometimes comprise an entire box,
than I am concerned about damage to the coins , as the presence of these , usually means
little or no silver in that box . Argentium.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Here is the thing that post you read was not the first of its kind. We have been down this road before but heck why not those that mark coins need a good lashing it is overdue. LOL.
:hello2:
golden silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Lot's of hunters tag coins with a sharpie. It doesn't really hurt the coin and it can be cleaned off.

I do agree with you in regards to gouging a coin or causing physical damage. No need for that.

Most tags that I see make no sense. We all know if we search large volumes of coins we will be searching our own dumps eventually. The only tag that makes sense is if you were only trying to get an idea on how quickly the turn around is, or the cycle of getting your own dumped coins is. Outside of that there is no logic in tagging a coin, especially if it just a dot or a slash or a red neck or whatever that you can not distinguish one tagged coin from another.
If you were trying to determine the cycle than your tag should be a date on the coins. And tag only 1% of them 1 out of a 100 means you would tag 10 coins out of a box, there ought to be 10 pretty dirty coins in almost every box. Tag until you start seeing them again. this will tell you 1 thing for sure. You "ARE" getting your dumps back, but not necessarily the cycle because they could have gone through the cycle several times before they came back to you. But know this they will come back to you.

As far as coins being special and Historical and pieces of art. I do appreciate what you are saying but the reality is...... is that there are Billions of JFK's out there or that have been minted since 1971.

Check out my little research I posted a while back.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,247634.0.html

Mojo

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
AGCoinHunter said:
mistergee said:
i give up.

Mistergee, what you giving up on?

Anyone who has been on the forum for any amount of time (especially years) has been through this exact same posting by a new(er) poster a dozen or more times. Mistergee used to put in his two cents so to speak, but now has given up on spending his time typing a response which he has already typed a dozen times to answer this same post...in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong MG.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Anyone who has been on the forum for any amount of time (especially years) has been through this exact same posting by a new(er) poster a dozen or more times. Mistergee used to put in his two cents so to speak, but now has given up on spending his time typing a response which he has already typed a dozen times to answer this same post...in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong MG
i couldn't have said it better DR :thumbsup:
sorry if i seem rude to the newbies here by not responding but it will just start a whole page of fors and againsts, and those that are for marking coins will continue to do so anyway regardless of what we say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread