ordering ikes in boxes

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
never ordered, but have thought about it, post results and how would you dump them?

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
thing said:
I talked to a teller yesterday and they offered to order me a 1000 box of ike dollars. Has anybody tryed to order these coins? Any body have an idea on what my chances are?

Eisenhower dollars were discontinued a long time ago. I didn't know you could order boxes of them still. I would guess they meant the new presidential dollars.

If I could get a box of Ikes I would keep them all and sell some of them on ebay or elsewhere.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
They are very likely not Ikes.

When available, Ikes are shipped in bags; not boxes.

They are probably one of the more recent quarter-sized dollar coins.

I'd pass.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
It is worth a try you never know what you might get. If indeed they are Ikes there might be some goodies mixed in.

golden silver

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
thurmownator said:

I'd pass.

No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large eisenhowers.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and ikes that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get them, I would go for it. Dumping them will be the issue. Coin counters dont take them and banks hate them. Might want to come up with a plan to get rid of them before you get them. I would bet if you can get a bag, you will find some keepers.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
They are still spendable currancy. Pay for gas with them or leave them as tips and people get a kick out of them.

golden silver

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
If you can get them, go for it. I tried once and got the new dollars.

Good luck

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
thing said:
thurmownator said:
They are very likely not Ike's.
When available, Ike's are shipped in bags; not boxes.
I'd pass.
No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large Eisenhower's.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and Ike's that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

Do not get offended when a long time CRH'r is telling you the facts here. "It Is Highly Unlikely" There is no place on the vault tellers order form that specifically allows them to order Ike's. If they are able to get them they would most likely come in a bag and it would be a special order of sorts. Very uncommon coin these days..

Most tellers call them silver dollars and some call Susan B's Silver dollars. so prepare to be disappointed.... But if we're wrong .... Get as many as you can.....

Mojo

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got $ 135 in ikes last week in rolls, hoping to get a old Morgan, Peace or Silver Clad Ike. I had no luck, but I would get more rolls of Ikes if I could, hoping for silver.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
coinmojo said:
thing said:
thurmownator said:
I'd pass.
No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large Eisenhower's.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and Ike's that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

Also, as a tipoff is that they can get you a "box". Ikes will come in a bag. Brinks/Loomis have no capacity to roll Ikes. The only chance that one could get a box of Ikes is if they were customer rolled and repackaged at a Brinks/Loomis facility.

Do not get offended when a long time CRH'r is telling you the facts here. "It Is Highly Unlikely" There is no place on the vault tellers order form that specifically allows them to order Ike's. If they are able to get them they would most likely come in a bag and it would be a special order of sorts. Very uncommon coin these days..

Most tellers call them silver dollars and some call Susan B's Silver dollars. so prepare to be disappointed.... But if we're wrong .... Get as many as you can.....

Mojo

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_Down said:
coinmojo said:
thing said:
thurmownator said:
I'd pass.

Also, as a tipoff is that they can get you a "box". Ikes will come in a bag. Brinks/Loomis have no capacity to roll Ikes. The only chance that one could get a box of Ikes is if they were customer rolled and repackaged at a Brinks/Loomis facility.

Mojo

Well, that quote is FUBAR'd. My response is between Mojo's.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
A friend of mine was able to get bags of ikes delivered. We went through them together. I think in all we ended up going through 6k in a matter of a few months. Found a Morgan (1904-O) I believe, some clad proofs, some silver ikes and his daughter walked up and said what's that?? It was a Peace Dollar. She was five, and noticed it because of the Eagle on the back!

Never seen the Ikes in boxes, but good luck!

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
If I could order some I would, but haven't been able to find a bank that can. Best I've been able to find is about 100 loose. Good luck, I would order them.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
thing said:
thurmownator said:

I'd pass.

No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large eisenhowers.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and ikes that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

So what's the deal here? Did you have the bank order them and then realize they were the new co-mingled dollars yet? Or did you get a bag of large dollar coins? Or did you not order?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thing said:
I talked to a teller yesterday and they offered to order me a 1000 box of ike dollars. Has anybody tryed to order these coins? Any body have an idea on what my chances are?
I am just repeating what the others said. Nobody can get boxes of IKES, bags yes but not boxes. Most tellers just do not listen (probably like the rest of the population) There are times I specifically say BIG DOLLARS and actually show one and they pull out those quarter look-alikes.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
An Ike $1000 box would weigh like 50 pounds or so?

No such thing. Bags can be special ordered sometimes I have heard.

I once went to a bank that I had called and they said they had "hundreds" of dollars worth of halves in rolls in the vault they had for a long time. After I jumped in the car and sped to get there it turned out it was new small dollar coins.

The poor, non-bright teller I spoke to did not know what a "half dollar" was. She thought I meant new dollar coins.

So you cannot always go by what a teller tells you.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread