"Edge hunter" dumps...

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
"Edge hunter" dumps...

Found some OBVIOUS dumps, figured I'd "edge search" them and drop them in a bag.
Once the $170 were opened, I grabbed handfuls at a time and date searched them.
Found a '66 and a '67!
One has a black rim but clean obv/rev.
The other HAS A CLAD looking rim! :headbang:

[Edit Speeling, add pic]

Attachments

• Edge_Hunt.JPG
    Edge_Hunt.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 381
Upvote 0

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Re: "Edge hunter" dumps...

That's very interesting. Can't wait for the pics.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Fredness said:
Found some OBVIOUS dumps, figured I'd "edge search" then and drop then in a bag.
Once the $170 were opened, I grabbed handfuls at a time and date searched them.
Found a '66 and a '67!
One has a black rim but clean obv/rev.
The other HAS A CLAD looking rim! :headbang:
Can't get a good picture, but as soon as I do, I post it.

Black rims I always check. I wasn't until about 2 months ago that I ran across the clad looking rim. Those can easily be missed while rim searching.
Rich

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

Edit OP for speeling and removed the "pix soon" - picture added.
Came out better than I thought, 12MP and I cropped more than I reduced to keep the detail.
It REALLY looks good live...

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007

I once was told by a teller "we've got halves but you won't find any silver ones because we watch for those and keep em" I got five rolls and they must have been edge hunters because I found 12 40%'s. They were really dirty and looked like clad from the edge like the photos in the original post but it definately is a "different" kind of look than real clad. I check anything that looks even remotely suspicious.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lucky Jack said:
I once was told by a teller "we've got halves but you won't find any silver ones because we watch for those and keep em" I got five rolls and they must have been edge hunters because I found 12 40%'s. They were really dirty and looked like clad from the edge like the photos in the original post but it definately is a "different" kind of look than real clad. I check anything that looks even remotely suspicious.

It sounds to me that they didn't know that 1965-1970 were composed of 40% silver. Finding 12 would seem that they were only looking for 1964 and earlier.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

I usually edge search, but always drop them in the bucket and listen. Have found three magician's coins this month using this method. Clad proofs will also be identifiable edge searching as there edge is wide and crisp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread