I dont get it!!!

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
would say because close to 30 years and uncirculated... but they are loose in pic wtf? no idea...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The mint did not issue mint sets in '82 and '83. Mint sets would be the source of mint state coins that collectors want. Consequently, there weren't many rolls of '82 and '83 set aside at the time. Now, due to diminished supply, the cost of a 1982 Kennedy half (uncirculated) is $6 - $8. Now, you might find some excellent examples of 82 and 83 in the wild, but they really won't pass muster as an "uncirculated" coin.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1982 coin are a bit special, but only in new condition.

They are worth many times more in mint state (uncirculated) condition because the US mint did not issue mint sets in 1982 or 1983, so those that typically bust open mint sets to get uncirculated coins for their collections would have to hope to get their coins somewhere else. Check out the prices for uncirculated coins for those two years. I wish I had put away a few new rolls from that era.

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
8 suckers, I mean people bid on it. It'll take several generations for those halves to be worth 7x face. IMO.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
dp2013 said:
8 suckers, I mean people bid on it. It'll take several generations for those halves to be worth 7x face. IMO.

They are already worth $6-8 dollars a piece for uncirculated mint state specimens. By my calculations, they are already worth 12x face.

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
Diver_Down said:
dp2013 said:

They are already worth $6-8 dollars a piece for uncirculated mint state specimens. By my calculations, they are already worth 12x face.

it seems to me that I have come across 1000 of 82-83 coins. I honestly cant beleve that they go for more then a 40% coin.
So basically I sould spend my time culling 82-83 coins as well?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thing said:
Diver_Down said:
dp2013 said:

it seems to me that I have come across 1000 of 82-83 coins. I honestly cant beleve that they go for more then a 40% coin.

I would if you are finding them at that clip. Keep them and as you get better ones throw back the ones in poor shape.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
thing said:
Diver_Down said:
dp2013 said:

The 82 and 83 coins found in the wild won't be worth more than face. You might be fortunate to find some exceptional ones, but the premium is applied to the mint state coins. Slightest scratch, wear on the rim, devices marred, etc. and it is face value. Personally, I would only buy these coins in person or unless they were in a souvenir set or a private mint set. Souvenir sets were available at the gift shop of the respective mints for visitors. This would be my first choice. Some sets were assembled from rolls by private mints. Numismatic News sponsored such a set. Other than those two avenues, I would have to evaluated each coin in person to consider even buying.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Diver Down, you have done an excellent job trying to explain the deal with the 82' and 83's :thumbsup:.. I wish a few more of the posters on this thread had spent a little more time reading what your explanation was ::).. Thanks, Gpurs..

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
GPURS said:
Diver Down, you have done an excellent job trying to explain the deal with the 82' and 83's :thumbsup:.. I wish a few more of the posters on this thread had spent a little more time reading what your explanation was ::).. Thanks, Gpurs..

Thanks. Of course, if hunters want to start culling the 82's and 83's from circulation, it is fine by me. Less for me to wade through to find the silver.

The same underlying concept is applied to the NIFC found in the wild. They have low mintages, but there is an ample supply on the market to supply collectors from mint rolls and bags.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:
Good! I wasn't the only one that noticed lots of posting and no reading. :tongue3:

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
I found a Roll of what looked like uncirculated 1982 half dollars in a hand roll from a bank. I was wondering "why anyone would save these" as I rubbed the mint luster off and threw them in the dump pile.

I Guess I should have hung on to them...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread