whats with all the 40% halfs

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Re: thats with all the 40% halfs

Because up until the last year or 2 no one really cared about the 40%'s Dealers would only pay a little over face until silver went over $12.

90% allthough they made them for such a long time are all collectable and have value simply for the precious metal. so these do not get past many people.

My spin...

Mojo

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Re: thats with all the 40% halfs

coinmojo said:
Because up until the last year or 2 no one really cared about the 40%'s Dealers would only pay a little over face until silver went over $12.

90% allthough they made them for such a long time are all collectable and have value simply for the precious metal. so these do not get past many people.

My spin...

Mojo
What he said! plus this, all of the 40% are 64 and newer while the 90%'s are 64 and older, so even if you have someone who has no idea of the silver content they may still hold onto them just for the age factor.

Chuck.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
Youze guys have to realize the sheer volume of 90%'ers pulled back in 1979-80! ffd

I know, its amazing we find any at all.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plus you would be amazed how many people in the general public who do not know that 1965-1970 halves are silver. A ton of people think silver coin production stopped in 1964 for all denominations

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Goes4ever said:
plus you would be amazed how many people in the general public who do not know that 1965-1970 halves are silver. A ton of people think silver coin production stopped in 1964 for all denominations

This is the KEY right here. There is one bank I get halves from out of their machine. I know there is one teller there who cherrypicks from the bags before I get them (the bags always add up but there are always some quarters in it, so I think she takes out the halves she wants and throws quarters in so the $500 count is right). Thing is, she only takes 90%ers. There are always a good amount of 40%ers when I get the bags. I know she is not doing it (leaving the 40%ers) out of being nice that is for sure.

She has bragged to me about getting silver dollars and other old "silver" coins customers bring to the bank. Hopefully she will never learn about the 40%s.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions