Not One....But Four 197....

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
I don't post here much anymore but I thought today's finds were post worthy.
The day started off well enough, after rolling $680.00 in quarters from the last couple years of metal detecting I was off to the bank to cash in. Well after cashing in the loot, three different tellers start bringing me halves (they obviously know me), one of them says "I don't know if you want these because somebody already pulled out the 100% silver ones" of course I took all 16 40%'s and said I'll take them anyway :laughing7:
So I was off to the next bank to pick up my 4 boxes for the day. I open the boxes at the bank to make sure they're all there and I see a beautiful Franklin looking right at me! I couldn't wait to get into these boxes so I tested a few rolls and the box looked promising. One box only had 3 40's but the other three boxes were very good including 4 1970 D, 14 Franklin's, 14 1964, 45 40%'s, 1 1987 S proof and a 1990 S proof. About half of the Franklin's and 1964's looked to be proof quality although it's very hard to see in the pictures. This has been a strange month, a couple weeks ago I hit it big with 4 boxes totaling 604 40%'s and 2 90%'s. Definitely a great way to start the year! Thanks for looking!!

HH Mark

1252010005.jpg

1252010001.jpg

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Are those proof franklins? They look really shiny.. great score.. I haven't gotten a box like that since I started 10 years ago.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
SFBayArea said:
Are those proof franklins? They look really shiny.. great score.. I haven't gotten a box like that since I started 10 years ago.

Proofs aren't shiny. They are mnirrorlike in the background, and frosted in the front. Take a look at the one Kennedy in the front row. It is a great example of a proof. See how Kennedy is NOT shiny? He is "frosted" instead. That is what a proof looks like. :-) Part is clear, more than shiny, and part is frosted with a white look to it.

I too used to think that shiny weant proof. Now i know better though.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jrf30 said:
SFBayArea said:

Proofs aren't shiny. They are mnirrorlike in the background, and frosted in the front. Take a look at the one Kennedy in the front row. It is a great example of a proof. See how Kennedy is NOT shiny? He is "frosted" instead. That is what a proof looks like. :-) Part is clear, more than shiny, and part is frosted with a white look to it.

I too used to think that shiny weant proof. Now i know better though.

Usually if an old coin is too shiny, especially if there is any wear, means it was dipped or polished.

Jim

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have yet to find a 70, nice work!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good to see the good finds are still coming in. I've only found 2 1970 halves in over 3 years, you did good there.
I am curious about 1 thing. This is from one of my coin books.(Proof coins are produced through a special process involving specially selected, highly polished planchets and dies. They usually receive two strikings from the coin press at increased pressure. The result is a coin with mirrorlike surfaces and, in recent years, a cameo effect on it's raised design surfaces). So my question is, when did they start using the cameo effect on proofs?I swear i've found a couple of franklins that are proofs and not just shiny even though they don't have the frosted appearance. Some of the Franklins in Marks' pic do look like proofs. MM2

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
nice score :thumbsup: there seems to be alot of the 1970's showing up lately. wish one would find its way over here.
a couple weeks ago I hit it big with 4 boxes totaling 604 40%'s and 2 90%'s.
Wow thats a great score. did you post that one?

OP
OP
SoCalMark

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
mistergee said:
nice score :thumbsup: there seems to be alot of the 1970's showing up lately. wish one would find its way over here.
a couple weeks ago I hit it big with 4 boxes totaling 604 40%'s and 2 90%'s.
Wow thats a great score. did you post that one?
No, I didn't post it. I think I had fallen into the realm of paranoia over the last couple of years for fear of attracting unwanted attention to myself and the hobby. :dontknow: This is a great hobby and I think there is plenty of silver to go around. I notice there are a lot of new hunters out there, but I've watched them come and go over the last couple of years with very few that keep posting or stay with the hobby.

HH Mark

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to have to disagree with JRF on this one. Franklin proofs aren't frosted,they didn't do that until later. Here's an example.

Attachments

• 1957 PROOF SET.jpg
    1957 PROOF SET.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 227
OP
OP
SoCalMark

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
The frosted ones are Cameo's and Frankin's did come like that but they are rare to find. I don't have a source for that info but i'll find it. I just read it the other day while researching proof coins.

Mark

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoCalMark said:
The frosted ones are Cameo's and Frankin's did come like that but they are rare to find. I don't have a source for that info but i'll find it. I just read it the other day while researching proof coins.

Mark
You beat me to it. I was just doing some further research on this subject. The era of the Franklin half was a transition period for proof coins, they can come in brilliant or cameo or deep cameo proofs. From what i've read, there was trouble in making the dies during that period. But i'm beating this into the ground. I won't make any more waves. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread